5 cylinder VW 2.5 engine

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
Automods

5 cylinder VW 2.5 engine

Post by Automods »

Hi guys

I first came across your project some time ago and was certain that I would use it sooner or later.

I have a VW T4 (also known as a eurovan), there is a massive following for them, but the petrol versions are avoided for several reasons, one being 15 MPG, most of them use an old and basic digifant ECU and system, they have a distributor and batch or full group injection, NO Knock sensor and generally run badly or pink all the time.

Is there any progress on a 5 cylinder setup as yet
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: 5 cylinder VW 2.5 engine

Post by AndreyB »

Automods wrote:Is there any progress on a 5 cylinder setup as yet
After starting nine four cylinder engines, we've recently started a 6 cylinder engine without changing one single line of code. As far as I understand, our code base is ready to be used with 5 cylinder already.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

What type of CAM / Crank sensors do you have? I seem to recall digifant II used two hall sensors, one on the fly wheel or some where on the crank, and one in the distributor for TDC verification. Is yours about the same?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
Automods

Post by Automods »

More basic than that.
Has a Cam position sensor for TDC and the electronic Distributor which appears to only fire up the coil, NO Crank or flywheel sensors. and a single Lambda

The system is as basic as it gets which means it generally always works, Just really inefficiently.

The plus point is that there are mounts and cut-outs and timings points cut into the engine and flywheel for all the sensors that could or should be used on a more efficient system, they just chose not to use them, bolt holes are all in place, and blanks just need to be removed. also all the sensors are available for the holes.

I run it on LPG, which piggybacks off the Digifant Full group injection, what would be interesting, and has got my brain ticking over, is that I could set the system up more in line with how the LPG system would like it by having a full sequential system.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Are you looking to do spark or are you intending to use the existing spark system, and go fuel only? Do you have a schematic for the distributor? We can probably sense the coil firing as a tach signal which would be used for RPM information and fuel calcs. However we would need to know more about how it's wired, or going to be wired.
Automods

Post by Automods »

I think it's probably good enough for now to keep the distributer sending the spark to the right plug, however the timing of the spark always seems to be out, I can adjust the timing to as the book says, and it pinks like hell, I retard it a few more degrees and it pinks when really hot or under heavy load or hard acceleration.

Whatever you do it always plays up in some conditions.

I work for a firm that builds test looms for anything from tanks, to jet engines, so I can wire it any way that is proven to work.
We have pretty much every connector or crimp that I am likely to need on the shelf, so it can be a case of work out exactly what I need in the system, then build the system then make a rough long loom, test and check its works then route, lay up and shorten and braid the loom.

The LPG system takes its RPM sensor from the coil, and it's a good strong signal.
I would like/need to have a knock sensor and can add a Crank position sensor in place or in addition to the Cam PS.

I beleive this engine is a lot better than its management system lets it be. And I love to build electronics, so this could be great.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Often fuel mixtures and spark go hand and hand. You'll likely find improvement if you fix either one. Have you found this board http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware_Frankenso_board

Sure would be nice if we had a kind of harness that could be used with this instead of getting salvage yard hacked off parts. Is there any chance you know a source for OEM style connectors? I have a project with an OEM harness, but it was hacked and I'd like to do something with less questionable connectors. I'd be willing to make my own connectors, but can't seem to find the connectors. Which leads me to hacked off and spliced OEM connectors. Any chance you know of where I could find OEM Subaru 98 to 2002ish connectors?
Automods

Post by Automods »

Quite often you will find that the connectors are made by different manufacturers within the same car.

Which subaru connectors are your after ? ECU end, Engine multi plugs or sensors ?, do you need both housings and contacts? a lot of the custom looms we have made have quite often kept the original housings with new contacts and seals, and the important bit is the contact as that is the bit that gets damaged or wears out, the plastic housings don't usually wear out.

Once cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner they will look as good as new, new rubber seals where fitted and you'd be suprised of the results.

We do have some Subaru contacts on the shelf, both ECU and sensor end, so I should be able to find you the correct part numbers to allow you to order new, can post a pic of a subaru look we made for a VW conversion we did some time ago.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Subaru connector discussion continued here http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=270&start=11

Pictures of the VW / Subaru's would be interesting.

About your potential project, I think I should try to encourage some kind of system schematic. I made one that might be a handy starting point. It was done with a program called Dia which is a diagram program very similar to Visio. I posted about a system schematic I made for a fellow here http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=360&start=162 Your's doesn't need to use Dia like this did, a napkin pencil sketch would work just fine. For now I don't see how the hip bone and leg bone would connect, so I'm at a loss about how I might be able to help you with your project.