Ford Falcon AU II Build

Your chance to introduce yourself and your vehicle
rexhunt

Ford Falcon AU II Build

Post by rexhunt »

Hi All,

Hello from Australia. One of my friends has a Ford Falcon ute that we are looking to turbocharge. From what we understand we'll need to put in an aftermarket ECU to be able to do that without making things go bang :roll: . What I'm planning is I will take the stock ecu out of my Ford that I rolled (Same model, engine, etc. Been in a paddock so it won't start due to water damaged key?, cow eaten fuel pump wires. Did run before the rain) build another ECU for my Ford, then once it is working transfer it to the drivable one, then once all the bugs are ironed out put a turbo into it.

This is a link to someone who has also replaced their ECU a number of years ago so it is doable.

From what I've seen this project will be a good fit for this project. Does anyone on here have any suggestions/questions?

Thanks,
Rex
rexhunt

Re: Ford Falcon AU II Build

Post by rexhunt »

The engine is a 4L straight 6 running on straight petrol (no LPG) coupled up to a manual gearbox so no worry about keeping the original ECU to control a gearbox. At this stage the features (required) list looks something like the below:
-Control injectors/spark for 6 Cyl
-Allow expansion from N/A to boosted (Sensible to start but unsure as to finish point :roll: )
-Display of relevant instruments (Ideally using the stock cluster, Some pinouts I have found for the stock ECU mentions a bus that may control the cluster. I will have to do some sniffing to find out what it is and what it does)

Now more things it would be nice to have:
-Valet mode (Or at least a more conservative tune so we can get to/from venues with less danger to the manifold)
-Knock sensors (We have never done this before so a way to know if we're pushing it too hard is probably a very good idea.

I'm sure more will get added to both lists as we get further into this.

From what I've been reading all of that should be possible with rusefi I believe. However I am a little confused as to the practical differences between the frankenstein and the frankenso boards. Is someone able to clarify the difference or point me to a side by side comparison?

Much appreciated,
Rex O'Regan
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Hello and welcome along. Have you found the wiki yet? http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Start-a-project/en

The frank boards have the same base features, in fact the Frankenstien board was the initial attempt at the Frankenso board. The key differences is that Frankenso will fit in a Denso enclosure, and can use a particular Denso connector which can typically be obtained at a salvage yard for low $. The original Frankistien board it's up to you to find a connector and enclosure, but the PCB is also a bit lower cost. However I tend to think Frankestien is a bit more $ as an overall system as you'll probably spend more on a connector and enclosure.

There is a good chance you can control the OEM cluster, but you would need a schematic to help iron that out for sure. Hmmm, straight 6, would this be a Jeep?

We are working on getting the KNOCK chip working, we should have that in good shape in the near future.
Multiple tables is something that hasn't been developed as of yet, but it is possible. It's a simple task of software resources.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
rexhunt

Post by rexhunt »

Hi,

I have come across that page. I will start laying out the engine shortly. However the donor care (Same model) that I rolled is in a friend's paddock until probably the weekend after this then I'll be able to start holding the parts that are getting talked about here and planning things more firmly.

Sounds like I will put off deciding which board to buy for now; as I am thinking about using the original Ford enclosure and plug. So I'll see if that will be practical when I get the donor car to my place and I can look at the sizes of things.

Sounds good with the cluster. I'll start looking for a schematic for it then. Might be a good first step?

This one isn't a jeep, it's next :D I rescued a '96 Jeep Cherokee another friend had driven into a dam and I replaced the head gasket. From what I can tell there's not too much difference between the engines but the jeep probably has less space in the engine bay then the ford. The plan is to turbo the ford, then if we pull that off (We probably can, between my mate and I, most stuff seems to work in the end) I want to do the same to the Jeep which is a bit sluggish(Might also be the auto transmission but that might also get looked at)

In terms of software I haven't looked at it at all yet. But I have a little experience with C/C++ and maintain the Excel spreadsheets at work which have a lot of VBA macros. So if it isn't something anyone else is interested in I can live with a single table until I set it up.

Cheers,
Rex
rexhunt

Post by rexhunt »

Hi,

Over the weekend I got the ECU out of my wreck. This is the plug on the harness: Image

And this is the socket on the back of the ECU it'self: Image

I haven't had a chance to look inside the enclosure yet due to work commitments, however once I do that I'll have an idea on wheather or not it is worth trying to re-use the existing plug and socket.

Cheers,
Rex
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

If you can find or make a drawing for the connector pins, we can probably make you a break out header, something similar to this.

http://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=507
rexhunt

Post by rexhunt »

Not sure if this will help, but I've found some links for pinouts for this ECU. I'll put them here so at lease I've got them as I dare say I'll need them later. http://www.fordmods.com/ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/eec-v-120-pin-connecter-pin-out-diagram-t90276.html http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=164802

When you say a drawing of the connector pins do you mean the spacing, etc. on the PCB? Something like that linked to would definately be helpful I think.

Thanks,
Rex
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Correct, something that would let me know where the PCB edge needs to be, where the vias need to be, where mounting screw holes need to be, ect. If I had a drawing like that, it's not very hard or very long to make a break out board.
rexhunt

Post by rexhunt »

Righto, I'll see what I can make up on the weekend when I pull it all apart.