[help needed] Coil driver and timing

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
marauder1441

Coil driver and timing

Post by marauder1441 »

Hi,

I'm still working to add rusEFI to my Suzuki DRZ400 motorcycle (Carb with CDI). Before swapping to fuel injection, I want to replace CDI unit by rusEFI.

My plan was to extract CDI mapping using simulated signal and measuring the output (of CDI) to build a table. But after looking to how CDI work, it's a little bit different from rusEFI so I'll need to monitor the output of coil to have the right information.

I'll take some reading on dwell time and how to adjust it but my main concer is when I turn off the output device to produce a spark, what is delay to spark? Is it instantaneous?

Do I take the right way or is't better to start with a basic table and tune it?

Thanks!
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Coil driver and timing

Post by kb1gtt »

Beware, your primary side of the coil will probably have very high (400V to 600V) voltage levels. You might damage stuff in your attempts to sniff. Are you trying to use a timing light for your signal? I don't know what ignition output means, I would guess it means spark plug, but you might reference the ECU output.

I would probably suggest tuning from scratch. I believe you are replacing the coil(s) so you'll have different dwell. I like the concept of trying to sniff the existing tune, but I fear that with CDI it will be hard to capture the signals.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)