BOM Help and Digikey cost

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
chevydan6

BOM Help and Digikey cost

Post by chevydan6 »

OK Im a total newb so please have some patience. The Frankenso is alot to take in for someone not fimiliar with electronic design. So I used the CSV for Frankenso to do a BOM on digikey to order the parts. Well the cost is 350 dollars for everything. Also Digikey states that some of the parts are end of life and shouldnt be used. I would of ordered a kit from Tindie but none were availible. Im not sure if its something I did wrong but 350 seems way high. Im not sure what I can remove to lower the cost of parts either.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: BOM Help and Digikey cost

Post by AndreyB »

Both Frankenstein and Frankenso kits are getting back in stock pretty soon, like between a week and three.

I think the $350 drama is coming from individual resistors crazy price on digikey? Just a guess. A solution would be to get a "(SMD 0805) 50 Value Resistors + 40 Value Capacitor Package Assorted Kit Set" from eBay.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: BOM Help and Digikey cost

Post by kb1gtt »

Low qty orders get high pricing. It's common you can buy a spool of parts for less than you can get individual parts. AKA it costs them a certain amount to cut it for you, which is often lower cost than the entire spool. Also price drops fast as you start to get into qty, especially if you are doing the assembly yourself.

If you are looking to cut costs by not populating parts, I would suggest only trimming stuff you don't need or don't use. For example, if you only 4 or 6 of the injectors, you can simply not populate the other circuits. However I would suggest do not remove parts in hopes of making it cheaper. If you try to modify the circuits by not populating parts, you'll likely break something and the costs will get much higher.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)