Protection against back EMF

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
danhuang

Protection against back EMF

Post by danhuang »

I don't know if this is off topic, if so, delete it, thanks.And sorry to everyone
Recently, I am trying to build an ignition cut module with an arduino as part of a DIY quickshifter on a motorcycle. I have build the circuit shown below.
The points A and B on the circuit fit inbetween the circuit on the motorcycle that powers the primary circuit of the ignition coils. The sketch on the arduino is configured in a way that when pin D2 goes low (When the sensor trips) a HIGH signal is sent out of pin D11, this high signal lasts for around 60ms and turns off the p-channel MOSFET that that amopunt of time. The effect of this is that the spark is cut on the motorcycle for around 60ms.
The circuit works fine when attached to a 12v bulb, however, when I connect the ignition circuit, wierd things start to happen, the arduino acts like the sensor is being tripped when it remains open. I believe this is down the back EMF from cutting the power to the ignition coils primary circuit. These are cut on a regular basis by the ECU to produce the spark, not only being cut by my circuit.

My question is how can I prevent the back EMF spikes from interfering with my circuit? From my reasearch it seems a flyback diode would be needed accross the inductive load. This isn't really an option as the coils are located elsewhere on the motorcycle and are sealed units, they are only fed by wires.

EDIT: Here is a diagram explaining where the circuit fits in relation to the ignition system.
I can give you the part number of the MOSFET: Infineon Ipp80P03P4L-04

The MOSFET needs to be constantly open, it makes sure that the engine will run, if theMOSFET is closed the spark plugs wont spark. This is why there is a pull down resistor on the MOSFET gate, so that if there is a problem with my circuit the MOSFET should be off and the coils will still fire. I considered using a depletion mode MOSFET but they seem surprisingly much harder to get hold of.
I know I'm not good at this area.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Protection against back EMF

Post by kb1gtt »

Hello. There are many issues with the circuit. Concerns of BEMF are minimal. You have much larger concerns, and I'd be surprised if you haven't burnt up several components already. The primary side of your coil will spike up to around 350V to 450V. This means your gate will have to jump to to 450V as well. This is likely a key problem in your attempt. Most gates can not handle such a high voltage referenced to the source or the drain, which causes current to dump directly across the chip and into the gate. I would suggested instead trying something more traditional, and low side drive instead of high side drive. Could you put in something like a J701?
https://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware#J701_NEON_engine_schematics
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)