EFI for small engines

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
jbiplane
Soldering skill: yes
Coding skill?: yes

Re: EFI for small engines

Post by jbiplane »

Better start with ECU itself. Test platform is secondary...

Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

jbiplane wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:27 pm
Better start with ECU itself. Test platform is secondary...
Good luck ...
keep us informed ... it will be very interesting for us to see your video and numbers ...

jbiplane

Post by jbiplane »

At moment one engineer makes for me 2 variant of ECU. 4+4 and integrated to throttle. But I dont know schematics...

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

A hardware platform is required to answer many design questions.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)

jbiplane

Post by jbiplane »

It would be nice is somebody make "nano EFI" hardware compatible with Tuner Studio...

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

@jbiplane It would be nice if you contributed to the effort instead of just trying to get us to provide free labor for you.

jbiplane

Post by jbiplane »

I hoped it will be usefull project. The idea was somebody of local team will design and sell open source nano boards. I can help in test and make available complete kits (milled and casted parts). Seems nobody are interested, so I'll continue with freelancer (speeduino compatible stand alone board) I already found. I got from him first 4 ECU, next week other 4. After I buy 10+ units I will get all project info. But it only for "insurance" and will continue order from him. Each PCB for 4 ignition and 4 injection with harness and bluetooth cost me 75 USD.
2+2 smaller board will a bit cheaper. Remain open to cooperation in future.
But now I have reliable supplier and no clear reasons choose something else...

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I lack motivation as my 15 year old snow blower starts on the 2nd pull in the dead of winter. It's reliable simple, and just plain works. I see little advantage of adding many new components that lower the MTBF. So I'm lacking motivation.

I'm glad to hear you have a solution, it's good to hear people hustling to make a product to get out there. I hope you do well with it. If you have some project that better motivates me I'd be more interested in allocating resources to the effort.

I would like to see an DIY multi fuel inverter generator with oil filter, that starts and stops automatically. That is something that interests me. I see the electronics as semi-important for the auto-start features.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Ebay say the black and yellow HIT 4kW tig / generator noted above will be here with an Estimated delivery Fri, Mar 27 - Fri, Apr 03.

I would like to figure out how to make this electric start, perhaps a drill and socket. Any suggestions would be welcome. I would also like to figure out how to add an oil filter to it. I'm assuming it does not have one now.

mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

kb1gtt wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 am
I would like to figure out how to make this electric start, perhaps a drill and socket.
Doing this to my lawnmower was as easy as drilling a hole in the plastic cover over the end of the crank.
kb1gtt wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:36 am
I would also like to figure out how to add an oil filter to it. I'm assuming it does not have one now.
If it's splash oiled, like most small engines are, this could be quite difficult. It probably has no pump at all, so there isn't really anywhere to put a filter.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Hmmm, the better half would probably be happier with me if I made this one work. It hasn't started for years, but has been dry and it used to work, so it should now. It has some carb problem last time it ran. Basically I had to run it as the floats would overflow if it was not running. It's already electric start and in my garage, and virus free. Once the new one gets here, the first thing it's going to do is to sit for at least 9 days. So I could start dubbing with this one now.
Attachments
IMG_20200323_082542.jpg
IMG_20200323_082542.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 1048 times