[info] Proteus - Waterproof, High-feature ECU!

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
Boostonabudget
Slack: Callum Henn***

Re: Proteus - Waterproof, High-feature ECU!

Post by Boostonabudget »

mck1117 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:30 am
Boostonabudget wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 am
One thing things thats got me a little confused tho about can. Ive always known it was a comunication type but how exactly does it work? How many seperate connections to 1 can connection can you have? Say like wideband over can along with egts and a digital dash or something? Or woould you need more than one can?
CAN is a multi-master, broadcast bus. That means that multiple devices can be "in charge" (separated in time), and a message from any device is sent to and received by all other devices on the bus. Think of it like a party phone line, or whiteboard in a conference room. Anybody can stand up and write something on it (but one at a time), and everybody has a good view from their seat.

What does that mean in your car? Well, it means that many (as many as tens) of devices on the bus can operate safely without knowledge of one another, each broadcasting things that they know, and listening for things they care about*. The wideband controller might broadcast the current lambda value, which the ECU and dash both listen to. The ECU might broadcast other parameters like RPM and TPS, which the dash also listens to. In my car, I have the ECU, wideband controller, and a Banks iDash SuperGauge all on the CAN bus. My 2013 Focus has 3 CAN busses, each with 5-10 devices on it. Some newer things like Mercedes/Porsche/BMW have up to around 100 total CAN devices.

*provided that they all operate at the same bus speed
Couldnt have asked for a better explanation!! Your a legend mate.
Next question is what devices are compatible or can be made compatible? The more i can use CAN the better it sounds haha. Have there been many CAN add ons made for rusefi yet?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

https://rusefi.com/build_server/ now has both f4 and f7 bundles for Proteus
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
bill

Post by bill »

Can i get a board too?
What should i do? Mail you some $$...?
thanks!

its for a V-12
with turbos.
\
v-12__2.jpg
v-12__2.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 39237 times
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

bill wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:35 pm
Can i get a board too?
thanks!

its for a V-12
with turbos.
\
v-12__2.jpg
I like v12, and I like turbos!

I'm just about done on work with v0.3, which will be mostly China-assembled, with some hand finishing. I'm planning to order a batch (and hand assemble the parts that need it), with a few going to other folks in the US if they want them.
bill

Post by bill »

I would like one!
when do you suppose they will be back from China?
also, should i send some $$ now or later?

thanks
bill
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Production of v0.3 is imminent!

Improvements include:
  • All components on the front side of the board - mostly assembled by JLCPCB
  • Knock sensing hardware (no software yet, soon to be tested!)
  • Switch from the TLE9471 to the LMR14020 (regulator) + TJA1051 (CAN interface). JLC carries both of these components.
  • Parts of the design simplified, reducing component count and assembly difficulty.
  • Pinout silkscreen on back of board
I know there is a plan to order one batch in the US (me), and one in France (CrazyStriker). If you're interested in a board, please DM me here or on Slack. The cost to assemble from JLC goes down steeply as the volume goes up - so the more the merrier. Expect around $100/board for the fully assembled board, without connectors or a case. CAD files are available for both a 3d printed case, and a milled/laser/waterjet cut aluminum option.

There are a few options that push the cost up/down slightly:
  • Number of low side outputs (injector, relays, etc)
  • High side output support (4x, all or none)
  • VR support (0, 1, or 2 VR inputs)
edit: Connectors now included. Matching set of 3x headers (ECU side), 3x plugs (harness side) and 100x crimp pins.
Last edited by mck1117 on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bill

Post by bill »

I sent you a DM. i hope it goes through.

One note: i have a v-12, so need 12 outputs for fuel injectors, and 12 for spark.
don't know if i have to do anything extra for that, but FYI

Also, i have 4 knock detectors built into the engine as-is. Not sure if they can be re-used with your board or not. But they are already there.

Thanks!! for all your effort!!

bill
on stand.jpg
on stand.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 39085 times
Tire guy

Post by Tire guy »

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:22 am
There are a few options that push the cost up/down slightly:
  • Number of low side outputs (injector, relays, etc)
  • High side output support (4x, all or none)
  • VR support (0, 1, or 2 VR inputs)
Are these options something that gets customized on final assembly by hand or do you have to decide what to include before you order a batch?
I think on such an IO rich ecu that can run pretty much any engine, 2 VR inputs might as well be standard. Most engines are vr or a combination with hall. On that note, the 6 digital inputs, can they all be used as hall sensor inputs, or just a on/off switch like AC, clutch switch ?
You guys are killin it! I'm interested.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Tire guy wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 pm
Are these options something that gets customized on final assembly by hand or do you have to decide what to include before you order a batch?
I think on such an IO rich ecu that can run pretty much any engine, 2 VR inputs might as well be standard. Most engines are vr or a combination with hall. On that note, the 6 digital inputs, can they all be used as hall sensor inputs, or just a on/off switch like AC, clutch switch ?
You guys are killin it! I'm interested.
These are final hand assembly options, yeah. JLCPCB doesn't stock the components for those functions, so there's flexibility about how many get installed by a human.

The 6 digital inputs are for hall cam/crank and switches, no restriction on which functions work on which pins. I've been running my engine off of the hall inputs just great!
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

Will it be supplied with a pigtail/harness? What would be the shipping cost?
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

puff wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:40 pm
Will it be supplied with a pigtail/harness? What would be the shipping cost?
(US order) TE sample request went through, so it'll include connectors, mating plugs, and crimp pins (but no wires). Shipping within US is probably $10-15

(EU order) I don't know.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

US to Europe Flat Rate Padded Envelope $36

Get your _free_ shipping supplies at usps.com - get 60 padded envelopes and a dozen of Small Customs Declaration Pouches?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

I plan to order 5 JLC partially assembled boards for now in europe (France), 2 of which I will keep, 2 will go to simon, and 1 for Jokeri. I can ordrer 10 boards if there is some interest in it from some european folks but I won't finish the assembly for 10 boards myself, so you'd have to solder the remaining components yourself.

I can ship boards along with components left to solder, as well as connectors if you're not able to get them through TE sample program (I strongly recommand getting them through TE sample program, it is easy enough) but I don't have an infinite supply at home and need to keep some. I can also do another sample request but last one was not long ago, I'll try not to compromise my cover by ordering too much.

Don't know the exact shipping rate from france but to europe it's pretty cheap through normal postal service, or pickup points like mondial relay.

As for the date France is on lockdown until My 11th at least...

Gwendal
bill

Post by bill »

Any idea when the board will be in USA?
I know they work quick at the factory...
bill

Post by bill »

Question on Knock Detection--

I was contemplating putting saab 9-3 Coil-on-plug on my v-12 engine. Instead of the usual GM LS2. The junkyards here are full of both GM and SAAB.
I was also thinking of routing the COP through the SAAB knock detector/ Combustion detector--- and then to the Proteus board.

It seems that everybody here, especially Andrey, have done a lot of work on the SAAB setup.

I believe i can run these COP in the usual way ( power/ ground/ spark trigger -- 3 wire setup)
or run them through the CDM and then into the Proteus.

1-- does anybody have any idea on using the saab module for combustion detection? To eliminate the need for a cam sensor--

2-- Anybody still interested in trying to integrate the SAAB knock detection signal into the RUSefi software? The module does the detecting, apparently, and outputs a knock/no-knock signal.

Any ideas/ comments??

Thanks!!
bill
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

ion sense - this deserves a separate thread ;-)

What's that TE sample program? Any chances they'll ship it to an individual in Russia?

Didn't get that joke about _free_ shipping supplies and USPS.

Just realized, my paypal account is somewhat blocked (they needed my ID, but they didn't confirm when I provided it, don't want to spend more time addressing this issue) - any other payment options? What's the final date on making that decision?
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

puff wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:09 pm
What's that TE sample program? Any chances they'll ship it to an individual in Russia?
They have a button on their website that sends you free connector samples. Both CrazyStriker and I have had success with it. I'm pretty sure they'd ship to Russia, as they just dispatch the sample order to one of their normal distributors (I think the US ones come from DigiKey).
MadV12

Post by MadV12 »

Hello RusEFI Family,

I'm totally new here, but I follow RusEFI projects for a couple of months now. I'm currently working on a Jag V12 Setup, and i'm really interesting in a proteus board for the following setup:
- 2 ETB
- 2/4 Knock
- 12 High Z injs
- 12 COP

I'm from the south of France, so i take the opportunity to join the Crazy Striker order if it's possible (already contacted in pm).

Best Regards,
Paul
matprez

Post by matprez »

Crazy Striker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:52 am
I plan to order 5 JLC partially assembled boards for now in europe (France), 2 of which I will keep, 2 will go to simon, and 1 for Jokeri. I can ordrer 10 boards if there is some interest in it from some european folks..................

Gwendal
What would the price be for the board shipping excluded, I hope I'm not late to the first batch of the v0.3 Boards .
kneelo

Post by kneelo »

Interested in getting in on this... Have sent you a PM mck1117.

Im in australia.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

A batch of v0.3 boards has been ordered! I have 25 boards enroute to me near Seattle, and half-ish will get forwarded on to CrazyStriker in France.

I'll keep y'all posted as they're fabbed!
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

mck1117 wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:21 am
I have 25 boards enroute to me near Seattle, and half-ish will get forwarded on to CrazyStriker in France.
That's great news!

bill

Post by bill »

mck1117 wrote:

A batch of v0.3 boards has been ordered! I have 25 boards enroute to me near Seattle, and half-ish will get forwarded on to CrazyStriker in France.

Excellent!!!!!!
V-12's forever!

seems we have at least 3 V-12's that are gonna run off these boards! Two BMW, and one Jag
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

For some reason, TE Connectivity web-site has a separate registration form for users from Russia, they promissed that I would receive a confirmation email with my login credentials within one business day... Two days have passed, but no emails.. ;-(
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

Hi, Check USB connector close to microprocessor, pin 2 and 3 tracks are inverted
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

porelmundo wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 4:02 am
Hi, Check USB connector close to microprocessor, pin 2 and 3 tracks are inverted
Good eye, I think you're right :(

Where were you a week ago!?
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

mck1117 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:20 am

Sorry Sr for not been here, Next time count on me to help you revise diagrams.
If you already send the files, You can do a switchover on the legs on the connector side or just use a custom cable connector.
I will provably going to send to manufacture a board so thats how I found it.
Thank you, good job.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

porelmundo wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 5:32 pm
mck1117 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:20 am

Sorry Sr for not been here, Next time count on me to help you revise diagrams.
If you already send the files, You can do a switchover on the legs on the connector side or just use a custom cable connector.
I will provably going to send to manufacture a board so thats how I found it.
Thank you, good job.
Not the end of the world, since there are other options for USB connectors. I'll fix it in github, though, so future orders will be correct.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Ok, there's now a version pushed with corrected USB, designated v0.3a: https://github.com/mck1117/proteus/tree/master/export/v0.3a
Snake____1

Post by Snake____1 »

bill wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:35 pm
Can i get a board too?
thanks!

its for a V-12
with turbos.
\
v-12__2.jpg
Those original (M73) throttle bodies are twin 2xstepper motor based, unless you plan on using M70 throttle bodies you cannot use these with the proteus. Sorry :(
mck1117 wrote:

If you have one spare, I would be interested on running one on my BMW M70 V12 E36 build? I live in Norway, so shipping wise CrazyStriker would be closest.
(X) BMW E36 318i M50B50 Turbo (MegaSquirt (KdFI v1.3))
(X) BMW E36 325tds M70B50 (ViPEC V88)
(X) BMW E36 328i M52B28 Turbo (rusEFI PnP @me)
(✓) BMW E36 320i M70B50 (rusEFI project car)
(✓) BMW E46 325Xi M57D30 (daily)