[info] Proteus - Waterproof, High-feature ECU!

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Proteus - Waterproof, High-feature ECU!

Post by AndreyB »

rusEFI LLC NJ has a milled case plan. With 7 commitments at $85 per case I can ship milled metal cases to US addresses in 6 weeks. since that's a first batch please accept 85% probability of success - there is a 15% chance of something going wrong. Non US shipping at USPS cost, $25+. Please direct message for paypal info if interested.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

i'd love to see its design.
usb connector is on the opposite side of the board. is the whole board intended to be mounted in the enclosure via its main connectors?
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

puff wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 am
i'd love to see its design.
usb connector is on the opposite side of the board. is the whole board intended to be mounted in the enclosure via its main connectors?
It is intended to be mounted by the connectors, yes. The AMPSEAL connectors have 4 screw holes on the front, and a face seal.

Here's a bare board:

This is the prototype I milled myself a few months ago. It may not end up in exactly this enclosure, since we're not thrilled with how the lid seals to the main case body.

As for USB, there are actually 3 options:
  • Back side on-board USB
  • Front side on-board USB
  • Sealed USB
The sealed USB is the preferred one to use, since it lets you actually run sealed with the other connectors, and it's far sturdier since it's mounted to the case and not PCB. It even has a matching dust cap that seals the USB connector!

puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

nice, that pigtail usb connector is awesome!

but there's one concern - may be kb1gtt could add something.

not sure, what's the expected service life of that board, but i've seen relays with failed joints, that were just five years old, I've seen dashboard PCBs with failed joints, I've seen ECUs and AC control units, that needed resoldering - and they all had separate fixtures for the board and connectors..
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I've not looked at it. @mck1117 is usually fairly solid in his design process.

A quick look seems good to me. I see things larger than 0805 are flying leads, which I believe to be good thermal design. I probably would have put a fudical closer to the STM32 to help the PCB assemblers. The X,Y tolerances at the MFG house can add up over a course of a couple inches, and those fine pitch leads on the chip can't survive much of a tolerance stack-up. However that's just makes it easier to MFG. Of course a bunch of that was not assembled by the official fab house. So the solder joints and extra flux would go away on real production units. This was just a prototype run.

In a quick look I'm not seeing any real issues.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

No, I meant exactly what I said: probably because of time and vibration, solder joints on the connector pins used to fail even with the board fixed with screws inside an enclosure and the connector housing rigidly sitting inside the front wall of the enclosure - haven't you ever seen cracks on those joints in other automotive boards?
But may be the number of those pins counts? all in all, there are somewhat around 100 pins? and the board itself is not that heavy?
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

I've thought about that a little bit and don't have a firm opinion.

It's 93 pins (35 + 35 + 23), and the pins are pretty rigid (1.5mm diameter or so) with a lot of soldered contact area with the board.

I think I'm more concerned about flexing the board (and cracking it) than I am about the pin connections themselves.

The generally recommended process for these is to screw the connectors to the case, then solder them to the board, so that it doesn't experience any stress while it's installed.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Finding and following the MFG's torque spec on the screws is probably a good idea. Probably also a good idea to only install those screws once. That would likely minimize the connector plastic from cracking. Once the torque spec is found, I might suggest adding a torque note to the silk, so it's easy to find. Hot glue is a very common shock and vibe solution. You could put a bit of hot melt on the edge of the PCB to the enclosure to help with shock concerns. Most of the stuff I send through shock and vibe is far more aggressive than automotive, and is typically far more robust that. I commonly send "off the self" electronics through shock and vibe, and I've not seen much for failures of the electronics. I can only think of one thing that we had to add some zip ties and hot melt to. Most of these smaller things survive just fine.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
bill

Post by bill »

MadV12 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:41 am
Hello RusEFI Family,I'm totally new here, but I follow RusEFI projects for a couple of months now. I'm currently working on a Jag V12 Setup, and i'm really interesting in a
Paul
Paul, are you in the Proteus V12 thread?? Please join that one, we love V-12s!!

https://rusefi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1749&start=30
porelmundo
contributor
contributor

Post by porelmundo »

I don't have a water jet but i precision cut and engrave my own cases on mi CNC, also if professional finishing soldering need for the boards let me know.
I dont try to make competition, just if someone is out of options and if is in small volume.
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

Very good news for Proteus, boards from the first batch arrived in Europe last tuesday after travelling around the world for a month and are now in transit to their final destinations. Units #24 and #25 are assembled and working. One of them sits on a PnP adapter for a MK2.5 miata and the other will end up in the Renault 4 one day or another.
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

Quite a long trip! How many boards are there? 5 or 10?
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

12 boards, of which I kept 2 for personal use. One has already ran my car yesterday with the PnP adapter.

Next time we'll try to use a better shipping solution than USPS as it was obviously shit...
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

usps is great quite often:)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

Crazy Striker wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:52 am
I plan to order 5 JLC partially assembled boards for now in europe (France), 2 of which I will keep, 2 will go to simon, and 1 for Jokeri.
But you odered a dozen! :)
What about the rest? Do you have a spare one?
Crazy Striker
kit assembler

Post by Crazy Striker »

All the boards were already claimed when we launched the batch, it might be interesting to make another one tho. A mean to gather preorder would be nice because production costs decrease drastically when ordering in large quantities
Joey120373
donator
donator

Post by Joey120373 »

So start a group buy thread, settle on a minimum order, make a cut-off date, and hopefully you can get enough commitments to do another batch.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

JLCPCB does a lot but not everything

mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Hello all! Looks like things are aligning such that another batch of Proteus is going to happen. It will be v0.4, which doesn't have any major changes from 0.3 (same functionality, more or less, with minor improvements). It will still be a week or two until boards are ordered, which usually then has a turnaround of a week and a half, plus time for me to complete assembly/pack/ship here in the US.

The plan is currently just for a US-based batch, but shipping anywhere is possible (for a cost). Message me here on the forum, or on Slack if you're interested in a board

Like with the last batch, there are a few options:
  • Bare board without connectors: $220 shipped
  • Number of VR sensor channels: 0, 1, or 2. All boards have 6 digital (hall/switches) inputs, but VR requires additional chips that JLCPCB can't install. Add $15 per channel
  • Connectors: 3x soldered connectors, 3x headers, and 100x crimp pins (93 pins on the board, so you get some spares): Add $75. This option also means I can do a full test of the board by running my car on it.
Current batch orders:
  1. Me - 1 complete board
  2. AndreyB - 2 bare boards + 1 complete (no connectors)
  3. Joey120373 - 1 complete boards
  4. Cadence - 1 complete board
  5. Kon - 1 complete board
  6. Mgfoster - 1 complete board
  7. papamilad - 1 complete board
  8. cbperform - 1 or 2 boards
  9. young_boomer - 2 complete boards
  10. ganderson - 1 complete board
  11. chbright - 1 board
  12. simon.uwatt - 1 bare board
Current total (Feb 2021): 7 ish
Last edited by mck1117 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Joey120373
donator
donator

Post by Joey120373 »

PM sent!
StatusFactionFab

Post by StatusFactionFab »

I'd like to get in on this Proteus run, came here via the Facebook group.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

StatusFactionFab wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:53 pm
I'd like to get in on this Proteus run, came here via the Facebook group.
Awesome! Shoot me a PM and we'll get you hooked up.
Cadence
contributor
contributor

Post by Cadence »

I sent you a pm as well to get in on this.
cbfperform

Post by cbfperform »

I am new here and I am unable to send a private message yet. I am interested in a board at the moment for my pagani v12 project. Please put me on the list for a board.If it works well enough I have 5 more projects that I would like to use it on. I sent you a PM since I was able to after this post.
jamesuk

Post by jamesuk »

I am new here and I am unable to send a private message yet but you posted link on youtube , i have a 95 m73 5.4 v12 , how do i go about ordering ? thanks
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

Hi James.

Is this for the Countach rep?
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

OrchardPerformance wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm
Hi James.

Is this for the Countach rep?
If it is, it _has_ to be a thread!

If it is not, still a thread :)

jamesuk

Post by jamesuk »

yeah thats rite
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

Based on your user name I am assuming your UK based, if there are a few more UK people interested then it might make some sense for me to look into arranging a UK batch.
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
jamesuk

Post by jamesuk »

OrchardPerformance wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:08 pm
Based on your user name I am assuming your UK based, if there are a few more UK people interested then it might make some sense for me to look into arranging a UK batch.
ah rite ok , if there's no other interest from uk at this time is there anyway of me still getting one ? ta