Hina, Lowcost ECU

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
Gepro

Hina, Lowcost ECU

Post by Gepro »

Hello,

I am actually "working" on a lowcost ECU, it isn't waterproof, it doesn't offer E-throttle, it hasn't got a lot of protections, and it doesn't purpose a lot of inputs and outputs, but it is simple (and fat)
Top.jpg
Top.jpg (275.09 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
The connectors are Dsub, a DB37 + DB9, I already have some of them. But I like them, it is reliable and cheap.

The main goal is 6 cylinders, in europe we have a lot of enthusiasm for BMW engines, they are strong and cheap with good gearbox.
I often look at them, and if I have a good occasion I will be ready.

Actually I have an 1JZ with MRE, I love it but I have some trouble with 2 VR sensors, and I want full sequential.
I like the idea to design my PCB for my "trabant" :D :D

This ECU is a lowcost and fat copy of the MRE, without the TLE, it uses the same STM with the "same" pins. It normally allows the use of the same firmware, without even modifying the INI file.
Back.jpg
Back.jpg (223.25 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
It Offers :
- 11 LowSide outputs 1.4A (High impedance injectors only, and only one by wire)
- 6 Logic Level outputs (5V only)
- CLT and AIT inputs
- TPS, MAP, AFR analog inputs
- clutch input
- Canbus

Optional :
- VR Conditioner (room for external board. An homemade board with arming voltage by RPM is in developement)
- CR2032 battery and support (for real time clock)
- [https://www.ebay.com/itm/MicroSD-Breakout-Board-fur-SD-TF-Karte-fur-Arduino-3-3V-6Pin/272215736621]MicroSD board[/url]
- Knock module (maybe later, don't sure about it)
- SPI board or bluetooth dongle

Here is the price for 5 fully assembled boards : (without delivery, connectors, case and VR conditioner)
Price.jpg
Price.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
The case is a common aluminium 41x147x100mm
It is approx 10$ on ebay or aliexpress
case.jpg
case.jpg (109.22 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
I am waiting New Year in order to order 2 boards, maybe in case I forget something.

Sincerely,
Attachments
Schematic_Hina_2020-12-27_01-51-14.pdf
(378.41 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Hina.zip
(428.26 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Hina, Lowcost ECU

Post by kb1gtt »

DB37 = evil.

How much lower cost is this than a TLE8888? I see thru hole, so that's expensive. STM32 with TLE8888 is about all you need, and it's reasonably low cost.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Well, on the bright side silkscreen is pretty great. I would move "VR" and similar from under the footprint.

But you are on your own in terms of firmware configuration :(
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Gepro wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:03 am
I have an 1JZ with MRE, I love it but I have some trouble with 2 VR sensors, and I want full sequential.
Please start a new thread about this vehicle
Please include a photo of vehicle
Please clarify how exactly did you connect MRE to engine - did you cut harness? Some sort of adapter? What is the OEM connector on this engine?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

I really like the DB37 cause there is room between the pins. The connector is certainly not as good as quality shrinks.

The price is in the post, approximatively 25$ without VR conditioner. But there is anything else, no SMT soldering.

TLE is great, but except for the really small size, and the internal VR, I don't see interest. :roll:

Through hole is mainly for VR conditioner, battery and microSD board. The knock and SPI are for future purpose, but I am really not sure about it.

If the VR conditioner works well, I can plan to put it in the PCB. I don't know if microSD slot soldering is easy.
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Why not use the STM32F405RGT6? It's a little smaller and cheaper.
Gepro

Post by Gepro »

It is the one I use at the beginning and for the auxiliary board, but the 1.5$ worth it. I add too much "options room" with SPI and knock.

I can go under 100$ for 5 boards with the 405 and a little less outputs, it allows lower cost delivery, but lowcost isn't the main priority :D The price is already crazy for the purpose !!
Also, I don't care about VVT and IDLE, I don't plan to use it, but it can be useful. (that is why IDLE is on the 2 connectors, it can be use for the car or the engine)