Arduino based 7 solenoid TCU

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
Boostonabudget
Slack: Callum Henn***

Arduino based 7 solenoid TCU

Post by Boostonabudget »

Some of the guys on slack are already aware but was asked to make a forum post to show the progress and information regarding the transmission controller unit currently under construction for the audm ford falcon btr 93le/97le 4 speed transmissions. We will later be updating to a canbus add on to drive the zf626 and 28hp 6 speed boxes too 😁 so far we have full manual shifting thanks to the factory tip tropic shifter. Line pressure is controlled via tps (changes to how you drive) we also have TCC lock up mode for 3rd and 4th. Next big updates will be finalising the display over serial along with adaptive autoshift in drive. Feel free to ask any and all questions! The future for this will to have this code translated to run directly in the proteus ECU for an all in one solution. But right now we need a TCU for base tuning and setting up CAN for the factory clusters. I have attached the current latest code along with a video of the first full drove without any bugs 😁
TCU-V3.19.txt
(21.54 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Last edited by Boostonabudget on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Arduino based 7 solenoid TCU

Post by AndreyB »

Any pictures/videos of this setup working?

What are the inputs you handle? What are the outputs you control? How many tables/curves are needed to control this?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Boostonabudget

Post by Boostonabudget »

Just put in the video of the car running, inputs so far are gearbox temp, tps, shifter switch 1, shifter switch 2 and a transbrake switch. No real tables other than tps x solenoid 5 duty cycle so that you can drive normal and aggressive.
Fonzie
Github Username: duparq

Post by Fonzie »

Very interesting. I'd like to learn how these ZF 6HP and 8HP can be driven with custom hardware.
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

Fonzie wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:47 am
Very interesting. I'd like to learn how these ZF 6HP and 8HP can be driven with custom hardware.
The 6HP and 8HP are pretty hard to deal with - AFAIK they're both "clutch-to-clutch" shifting transmissions, which means you actually have to control them more like a dual clutch than an older automatic. Older automatics only do one transition at a time - for example engaging a clutch that "pulls" the output up off of a sprag clutch on the previous gear. That means the shift solenoids aren't a plain on-off: you have to slowly release one while engaging the next. Too much overlap and you get a bind-up, and too little overlap and you get an engine RPM flare between shifts.
Boostonabudget

Post by Boostonabudget »

Little update for everyone following, have all the basics now working and the car drives incredible!! Display over serial is fully functional with updates only set to change if a physical change happens to avoid the serial interrupt effecting shift times/response times (works amazingly!) We have complete shift happening within 200ms (or there abouts) which is universes faster than factory. Next on the list is to write to code to recieve can data for tech, speedo and some other small things to finally implement adaptive autoshifting. Re the zf conversion above for now we will just send can signals to the stock tcu built into the zf but I would live to be able to find a way to control the zf all on our own with full control of everything
pcorp84

Post by pcorp84 »

Hi,
Great work! I just want to know if this module can run a btr box standalone or do you still need the stock pcm?
Looking in the code it states needs to read s1 last state. How does it do this?
I'm wanting to apply this as a stand alone manual controller for btr without ford pcm. Is this possible. Thanks
Dolan
Github Username: SoSDylan

Post by Dolan »

Hey, I'm interested to see a zf6 working with custom hardware.

Not sure where things are at as this is an old thread but I'd be happy to help out with code and physical testing.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Dolan wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:12 pm
Hey, I'm interested to see a zf6 working with custom hardware.
Like this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_S6-650_transmission ?

That sounds too new for direct solenoid control approach, that sounds like CAN traffic integration approach does not it?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

Boostonabudget wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:22 am
Some of the guys on slack are already aware but was asked to make a forum post to show the progress and information regarding the transmission controller unit currently under construction for the audm ford falcon btr 93le/97le 4 speed transmissions. We will later be updating to a canbus add on to drive the zf626 and 28hp 6 speed boxes too 😁 so far we have full manual shifting thanks to the factory tip tropic shifter. Line pressure is controlled via tps (changes to how you drive) we also have TCC lock up mode for 3rd and 4th. Next big updates will be finalising the display over serial along with adaptive autoshift in drive. Feel free to ask any and all questions! The future for this will to have this code translated to run directly in the proteus ECU for an all in one solution. But right now we need a TCU for base tuning and setting up CAN for the factory clusters. I have attached the current latest code along with a video of the first full drove without any bugs 😁TCU-V3.19.txt

Hello. i am trying to control a zf 8 gearbox with my arduino, but i need help to get smooth shifts, could you give me some hints? i think my problem is caused by the order of solenoids activations
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Melkor3era wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:48 pm
but i need help to get smooth shifts, could you give me some hints? i think my problem is caused by the order of solenoids activations
I am not sure but is this a case of a more advanced "clutch to clutch" transmission where you have to smoothly adjust PWM and control pressure while the switch?

Do you have any videos of your progress?

Have you looked at ultimate_nag52?

Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

Here is my actual coding. I have noticed that even if i use analogwrite with a x increment per loop, like 0 to 255 in 1 second, the clutches will always engage roughly, no difference from controlling them ON OFF. Tried many things to soft them up while engaging, but no way.
Attachments
MelkorCoding.txt
(11.63 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

the only video i have done is on high gears, on lowers the issue is really bigger
Attachments
VID-20230308-WA0035 (1).mp4
(8.57 MiB) Downloaded 178 times
Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

Hi. I would inform you all i almost successful get rid of all the problems , i am still working on it but my transmission is now pleasent and very cool to upshift and downshift. I will try to upload a video of a norma traffic usage

I had to install a bosch electronic throttle valve to get throttle blip on downshifts
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Do you have a github URL for this software/hardware?

Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

blady321

Post by blady321 »

Nice job Man, you want to sell your controller ??
Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

This is the actual behaviour of my TCU, still working at, need to add a couple of safety algorithms, but is just working pleasently.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Do you keep your files on github or just locally?

Pandatheman
Github Username: N/a
Slack: N/a

Post by Pandatheman »

What's pin a0 for that says tBrake I am trying to git the whole set up working with not much luck
Melkor3era

Post by Melkor3era »

GregUK123

Post by GregUK123 »

Melkor3era wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:24 am
Hi, very interesting - how can I get in touch with you please?