The ultimate ECU & TCU & PDM & AWD project !

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
Stagman

The ultimate ECU & TCU & PDM & AWD project !

Post by Stagman »

Hi Guys im new to RusEfi, although I have been following for a fair bit of time... Hopefully, I can be a value adder to the project...

So, onto the project, Most welcome to tell me im off my nut... :roll:

Basically, as per the name, I have a stagea that is in need of a system that can keep up with my feature-creeping, it has a stroked out Rb26, Modified billet Bmw Dct incorporating original R33 GTR transfer case, and a turbo bigger than my head... So up to now, I've controlled everything using pure jank and im fed up... the car is undergoing significant chassis work at the min, i.e. i just cut the front off at the struts, so I have no excuse to do it properly!

So im thinking of designing possibly the most advanced Vehicle controller I can muster, think, the Haltech R5 but Open source and way more expandable... im from both mechanical/electrical background plus firmware, iot, database etc.. so im thinking we can incorporate these features listed below, and apologies for not being super awsome at formating sentences and grammar in advance...

So onto the IOT aspect of this project
  • Ota Firmware updates
  • Ota Tune Updates
  • Ota Peramitor adjustments
  • Ota Vehicle status and errors
  • Ota Logging (May end up being log retrieval; this will depend on how much a user wants to pay for the database)
  • Im in two minds about whether to take the easy route and just make it tuner studio-based or do my own interface using Flutter and possibly run said flutter tuner/dash on an embedded compute module 4 or something
Now onto the Ecu aspect
  • Basicaly Proteus as a base level but possibly the best ic from the STM offerings? and most probably two of them or three if we include dct
  • At Least 6X EGT inputs
  • More DBW outputs for twin-charged control
  • Throttle blip & Tourqe cut (related to the DCT but applicable elsewhere)
  • Pid control of Electronic wastegate (Already got a prototype)
  • The interoperability of the huge gpio pins some allocated to fixed uses some part of the PDM/DCT
  • Inputs for cylinder transducers
  • Eboost integration (again this is likely to be a DNF for most people and will no doubt need to have its own microcontroller to run the motor at its crazy specs and might even need to be a separate module or under its own can for noise/power/heat reasons)
  • Traction control based on actual g or target wheel slip so at least 4x wheel speed inputs
Onto the DCT
  • Bmw dct control via physically manipulating solenoids etc not hacking into the original can (We have a standalone prototype with basic eraly firmware)
  • Now, some of the features of this might be redacted until I can gauge interest but if its implemented into the ECU it will of course be released open source hope you all understand we have a pretty comprehensive investment of time and money into this part of the plan about 3 years worth of 5am before work with my freind...
PDM Time
  • A lot of fully current monitored switchable outputs, ideally all high current and all with PTC fuses and a last resort rated for the trace width with safety factor or a physical fuse
  • 6X dedicated outputs for safety for engine and person ie in my case I have 3 fuel pumps and multiple water pumps and power steering so I want the status of these and priority of these to be utmost and possibly run on an independent microcontroller for redundancy with automatic retry and the ability to put the car into limp mode or just cut power all together preferably i want to be able to see an out of normal operation warning that also has the logic to account for say more load on the fuel pumps at boost or if they start cavitating
  • Can bus back end module for simplified wiring this will be the one that will probably deal with some of the fuel pumps as well
  • Tire pressure system mainly in my case for drag racing incorporating tire temperature
AWD
  • Basicaly similar relm to the dct but we are only controlling the front to rear lock up on gtr drivetrain might be scalable to other platforms

So thats a quick summary of what im planning to start working on in the next few weeks... I think it goes without saying the commercial use of any of these featured functions is commercially restricted for those without express permission from myself/elected contributors I will start a new git hub ASAP

It has been a long day so I will no doubt have missed things, but the general gist is there... one main question is what is the most powerful st chip that is currently supported I saw the h7 being used but that was soon dropped for the F4?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: The ultimate ECU & TCU & PDM & AWD project !

Post by AndreyB »

Welcome!

H7 support is experimental/limited https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/issues/2284
F7 is the most powerful properly supported chip with https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/issues/3566 caveat

Overall many answers are in the github issue tracker :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Stagman

Post by Stagman »

What do you recommend we go for? Don't fancy adopting something st cant fix ?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Stagman wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:47 pm
What do you recommend we go for? Don't fancy adopting something st cant fix ?
https://xyproblem.info/ what's wrong with F4?

F7 is still the overall best deal even with flash bank drama
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Dron_Gus
contributor
contributor
Github Username: dron0gus

Post by Dron_Gus »

F7 flash drama can be solved by cheap spi/qspi flash chip.

I strongly suggest using specialized automotive chips for output stages. With diagnostic and protections. Instead of discret smart mosfet.
peterbryantdesign
Github Username: PeterBryantDesign

Post by peterbryantdesign »

Did anything end up happening with this? I would be keen to get involved