Frankenso in BPA9 ecu case.

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
spags
contributor
contributor

Frankenso in BPA9 ecu case.

Post by spags »

Hi, quick post to document case mods to fit a frankenso board into mazda ECU case.

As per the recomendation here (http://rusefi.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual:Hardware:Mazda_PnP#Case_Donor) I got a BPA9 ecu from ebay. $30 bucks shipped, it can be gotten for less.

It required a bit of work with a dremel to make the frankenso board fit, so here it goes:

Some material has to be removed from the area around the securing hole next to the ecu connector.

I also had to shave some material of the edge on the other side of the connector so I would not hit the transistor.

If you have an LCD, you will have to clip the corner of it. It's still well secured with just two bolts.

Finally, i made a hole so my connector could fit. This needs to be cleaned up...

Anyways, now it's a lot easier to connect and disconnect the board from the car. And it's protected.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Frankenso in BPA9 ecu case.

Post by kb1gtt »

Some of that has changed in R0.2. The injector drivers chips have been moved slightly. So we believe the top picture in the above post is now resolved and does not need modification any more. I forget if we did anything with the CAP. If that CAP is still an issue, I can add it to the KNOWN_ISSUES.txt file and move it slightly in R0.3. Also the LCD was moved slightly, so that should fit better now. There were a couple other changes in R0.2 not noted in your above pictures, near the CAN chip, it was moved to play nicer with the case, as well I seem to recall the bluetooth board was a bit to tight. I seem to recall expecting those to also be resolved in R0.2. Can I get you to update your above post to note it was R0.1.

@russian can you or have you verified the R0.2 in Mazda case?

@sprags thanks for the feedback. Feedback will only make it stronger and better, thanks for documenting this and attempting to help make it easier for others who might have the same issues, or might want to know it before getting into a project. We can only test it and do so much, your feedback it really handy and feel free to keep it coming.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Frankenso in BPA9 ecu case.

Post by AndreyB »

31) We've moved the upper mounting hole too far - we need to move it half way back :)

32) C1001 should be 1mm lower to improve clearance with the case
Technically it depends on where C1001 was soldered exactly - a bit higher and it's touching, a bit lower and it's fine

32) Q411 should be 1.5mm lower to improve clearance with the case

Q412 should be moved 3mm to the left, this would probably affect W63 which would affect the whole corner. Maybe move Q412 to the back of the board?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute