Need testing advice

It's all about the code!
lmou

Need testing advice

Post by lmou »

First, I will start by briefly describing my purpose. I need to test a fuzzy testing approach on ECU source code.
I was previously working on Jet ECU source code that runs on Arduino only (using hardware). Still, I decided to switch the testing to rusefi as it has a simulator, which should be more straightforward for testing through IDE or executable.
I have compiled the firmware, simulator, and unit_tests project on my machine.
To run the fuzzer, it needs a sample input file and an executable file. Currently, the way the simulator is built does not take an input file. What I am trying to do is to modify the unit_test to feed fluctuating inputs from an input file, rather than constructing the inputs from a cpp file.
I don't need to test all the modules; just one is enough for me.
So I am removing most test cases (which I didn't complete yet since there is a lot of dependencies between the files), then I will create an input file to provide different values. When I run rusefi_test.exe it runs all the unit tests already built.

As I have limited knowledge in the work environment and C++ development, I would like to take other's recommendations. Is there a way to feed rusefi_test.exe inputs when running, noting that I do not need all the unit tests provided and can limit myself to using a couple of unit tests only but want to run them repeatedly with different values? Should I use the console instead?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Need testing advice

Post by AndreyB »

Please provide more details - what are the inputs? what are the outputs?

I have to be guessing a lot about what you are doing but my recommendation would be to focus on simulator, not unit tests.

Maybe communicate with a running simulator via TCP/IP and feed mock inputs via network protocol? See how rusEfi console is communicating with simulator via TCP/IP and just extend that.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute