Post by rus084 »

they promise fuel economy about 20%
what do you think about this feature?
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Re: Dynamic skip fire

Post by kb1gtt »

An engine is commonly most efficient at a specific load and RPM. I agree that with this approach you could potentially get better efficiency out of your motor. However you would require some very detailed physical design requirements from the engine. Small changes in piston stroke, diameter, valve overlapping, etc can easily make this feature of no benefit. To make use of this feature I'm reasonably certain you would have to control both the ECU algorithm, as well as the engine's physical design. At minimum you would need to know your efficiency based on load. As keep in mind that increased efficiency can be obtained with normal engines. However your NOX emissions rise when you do this. It is common that regulator folks limit the benefits of more efficient travel as they are typically concerned with minimal nasty emissions, not fuel consumption. I'm a skeptic that this would be of significant benefit to emission controlled applications. However if your application is an endurance race and fuel weight is important, I could see how this could potentially be helpful.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)