Unofficial RUSEFI DASH

It's all about the code!
Wonderingwobble
Github Username: Arthris
Slack: Arthris

Unofficial RUSEFI DASH

Post by Wonderingwobble »

I say unofficial because I don't think a consensus has been made what that would be. But in the mean time we can fiddle around with something. What I have for yall is something of not my making. But I have absolutely worked to get it to a point that it works. What I have requires a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ Official Raspberry 7" touch screen as a RS485/CAN HAT. And whatever you want to power it up. And then head on over here https://github.com/Arthris/PowerTune-Buildroot This repo is still a work in progress. But its working, I am no way shape or form a software person. But I am trying to make this working with as little commands as possible. If you would like to help me out I am all for it. Also this is based on a dash called PowerTuneDigital. Its a paid ware dash but they have a github repo. Ill explain More in another Post on how to get CAN data across. Its very easy to do.
andreika
donator
donator

Re: Unofficial RUSEFI DASH

Post by andreika »

Maybe it's better to fork the Powertune repo and then add the fork as a git submodule inside board/raspberrypi/rootfs_overlay/home/pi ?
Wonderingwobble

Powertune Repo doesnt build the firmware or QT. Buildroot builds the firmware crosscompiles QT, and compiles Powertune and outputs a 1GB img file to burn to a SD card.
Rupucs

Post by Rupucs »

Hi ,

I'm also trying to replicate PowerTune dashbord, for other ECU, but maybe we can share expierience :)

So what have I tried ...
1. Build from buildroot of MarkusIppy github - failed, because it stopped with some strange errors, probably because of Ubuntu 20.
2. Installed QT and after then PowerTune from BastianGschrey github, got it partialy working, but there is some errors with dependencies, I tried it on Rpi4
3. Tried to build from your buldroot. - It take for my Ubuntu Virtualbox two days to compile SD image - It wont work on Rpi4, but I got Rpi3 and it run there, but stoped on shell and now asking password :)
So , will keep looking .. :)
Wonderingwobble

RPI4 and Powertune is a no go. Ive gotten it to sorta work. But its to do with the RPI4 GPU. We are stuck for now with the 3B+
Wonderingwobble

You probably need to allocate more cores to the VM. I do it all with a VM on a laptop. The first time it takes like 3 or 4 hours is all. Booting to login is normal since QT cant launch on RPI4. This is due to PowerTune requiring EGLFS. And EGLFS isnt supported on RPI4. Sorry that I didnt see your post earlier.
Rupucs

Post by Rupucs »

Ok, Ordered RPi 3B+ :)
Will poust update later.
Meanwhile started to research and some experiments on stm32f746g-discovery board.

Taking as example this: https://github.com/robinpipirs/stm32f746-canbus-display

Some info on FB also: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ECUMaster/posts/2554118838187455/?comment_id=2888924848040184&reply_comment_id=2889936811272321&notif_id=1625036005734472&ref=notif&notif_t=group_comment_mention
Wonderingwobble

I saw that same project I have a hard enough time with just Linux. Let alone fully embedded lol. Theres a project ill see if i can find that might interest you going that rout. Think the guy used a Teensy
Wonderingwobble

ESP32 Based. Also I have a working .img file for the Dash that works. Just needs you to have a 64GB memory card is all. But heres the very first one I was looking at attempting https://www.instructables.com/MegaSquirt-Digital-Dashboard-Display/
dexter_lab

Post by dexter_lab »

Nice project. For me all such dash project must start with the display. There are conditions to be met:
car or motorcycle. display must be visible under direct sunlight and dimmed during night.... and vibration resistant
while typing I wonder if some sort of electronic paper could serve the needs above
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

hey!

just made another attempt and googled for a generic android softdash and found this project
http://realdash.net

There you'll find a link to
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.napko.RealDash

But what's most interesting is:

New:
* rusEFI is now supported (Currently untested).
* Added support for WeBee B-0004 BLE module.
Wonderingwobble

Realdash I thought of. But the Android Limitation is what I found. Getting it to run decently fast on a Raspberry PI is a no go. The Raspberry Pi Official 7" Is fairly bright and is dimable. I have one installed in a friends Evo IX Drag car. Heres the link to my backup .img Again you need at least 64GB SD card and it takes a while for the Raspberry Imager to write this.
Keith
Github Username: Keith-N
Slack: Keith

Post by Keith »

Is that image using powertune? I imagine it's probably better than running Tunerstudio in Raspbian like I am doing right now. I had a pi so I just threw something together so I could atleast monitor AFR without my laptop.

I tried realdash and it wouldn't connect. I could see the ECU and it even prompted me to pick the app when plugging in. I'll probably play with it a bit more to see if I can get any data.
Wonderingwobble

Yes, Its Powertune. On Raspbian Jessie I think it was. Almost fully working .img but not quite. There isnt a intallation of QT on it. I think. IDK i dont recall the specifics lol.
marcusfitch777

Post by marcusfitch777 »

Hey, I'm having trouble compiling after trying a few different variations. Is this just me?
Wonderingwobble

No, not at all. I have all sorts of probelms. If you follow my github you should be fine
Danmain94

Post by Danmain94 »

Hi guys,

i know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone is still on here willing to help. Im also having issues getting power tune to work on my raspberry pi. I have a pi3 and pi4 in the house to get this working (dont mind which one will work)

I follow the github thread from MarkusIppy but that failing (same as above with weird issues)
also tried the arthis way but this again failed.

(im new to rasberry pi programming so when things are going wrong i don't know how to resolve anything without extensive googling but haven't managed to crack this

Anyone able to talk me through a procedure to get this somewhat working??

Thanks
NickZ

Post by NickZ »

your not the only one, mine fails in the compiling. I don't think you are meant to succeed because it is now a commercial product.
Wonderingwobble

Totally forgot about this thread. It was very hard for me to get it to compile on the Raspberry Pi. The Pi4 now uses a totally different build of linux and ive not had to work either. I have a iso file of a working dash. The problem is that its not user friendly at all.
marcusfitch777

Post by marcusfitch777 »

Wonderingwobble wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:48 pm
Totally forgot about this thread. It was very hard for me to get it to compile on the Raspberry Pi. The Pi4 now uses a totally different build of linux and ive not had to work either. I have a iso file of a working dash. The problem is that its not user friendly at all.

I did eventually manage to get your build root git to compile and fire up on a Pi3+ but when trying to launch it was missing the powertuneGUI.pro from memory. Not sure what I'll do from here.
Wonderingwobble

Without seeing in person Hard to say what could be the issue unfortunately
MWP

Post by MWP »

Wonderingwobble wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:03 pm
But heres the very first one I was looking at attempting https://www.instructables.com/MegaSquirt-Digital-Dashboard-Display/
That's my project 8-)
Pretty easy to use those EVE based displays once you get your head around how they operate.
They really cut the amount of MCU grunt needed for graphics operations.
Wonderingwobble

thats awesome and totally random lol
Nareon
Github Username: jerzean

Post by Nareon »

just wanted to say i have a newer PT dash that uses a Pi 4b, if yall want i can clone the sdcard and send/post it. just let me know
Omc

Post by Omc »

Nareon wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:49 am
just wanted to say i have a newer PT dash that uses a Pi 4b, if yall want i can clone the sdcard and send/post it. just let me know
Hi Nareon, I tried to create my own from the old github but never succeeded. I would really like to have a clone of your sd card, I already have the pi4 with a 7in display and all the hardware on hand. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. THANKS!
Omc
Nareon
Github Username: jerzean

Post by Nareon »

Omc wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:10 am
Nareon wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:49 am
Hi Nareon, I tried to create my own from the old github but never succeeded. I would really like to have a clone of your sd card, I already have the pi4 with a 7in display and all the hardware on hand. Please let me know how you would like to proceed. THANKS!
here is a G Drive link that contains the contents of the sdcard in a .rar file, also a easeUS backup of it aswell(installer is there if you go that route, confirmed this works)
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tdZXHdmHn-qvTOb8MOVs3CqPpIonwXCa?usp=drive_link

here is a link from my personal site that contains the above stuff aswell
https://rgmc.us/files/Powertune-Digital-Dash/
nimbleswitch

Post by nimbleswitch »

Thanks very much for sharing this! I can also confirm this works on my 4B. I was wondering if you happen to know which CAN interface hat they are using on the 4B so I can get one
Omc

Post by Omc »

End kernel panic not syncing no working init found
End kernel panic not syncing no working init found
IMG_4837.jpeg (3.85 MiB) Viewed 12389 times
nimbleswitch wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:30 pm
Thanks very much for sharing this! I can also confirm this works on my 4B. I was wondering if you happen to know which CAN interface hat they are using on the 4B so I can get one
i tried several ways but i always get the same black screen with text and nothing boots did you use easeus?
Omc
nimbleswitch

Post by nimbleswitch »

Omc wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:29 pm
IMG_4837.jpeg
nimbleswitch wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:30 pm
i tried several ways but i always get the same black screen with text and nothing boots did you use easeus?
Yes I restored the image using Easeus to a blank SD card
Omc

Post by Omc »

Unfortunately the easeus backup and your sd card contents do not work in my case. Even tried on a new card and still the same message at boot. I can see the card and contents on windows but my rpi4 does not boot.
Omc