EMStudio Development Thread

It's all about the code!
malcom2073

EMStudio Development Thread

Post by malcom2073 »

My plan is to use this thread to provide screenshots/information of, and take feedback about EMStudio as I develop it. My interest in doing this development has recently been renewed, as things have worked out such that I am now able to install rusEFI on one of my vehicles. This means that I will not only have a test platform to play with, but also a vested interest in the quality and usability of the application.

A bit of overview:
EMStudio

https://github.com/malcom2073/emstudio

EMStudio is an Open Source (MIT licensed) ECU tuning application. Currently it only supports rusEFI, however it's possible it may support other TS ini based systems. I have as of very recently started a rewrite of it, and it currently supports connecting/loading data from a rusEFI ecu, viewing/editing of scalars/bits via ini dialog views, and 3d tables. It also has gauges to display live data.

WARNING
I am currently working on base functionality, and am working on implementing tests to ensure the integrity of data read/written. Until full testing has been implemented, I do not recommend using it on a live vehicle without at the very least taking a backup of your tune with TS.

Rough instructions:

When you start EMStudio, it will present you with the connection dialog. You should select your INI file (Or leave it automatic to automatically download from rusEFI's website), select your connection method, and then click connect.
image.png
image.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Once you connect, it will display the main window with some gauges. You can use the top menu bar to open various dialogs
image.png
image.png (266.41 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
When you make changes to tables, click "Save to flash" to burn the changes to the ECU. When you make changes to a configuration dialog, click "Save" at the bottom to burn those changes. There's no great indication that you have saved data currently.

Future

There is also logging/graphing functionality that is coming down the pipe soon, once I integrate my old EMSLogViewer application into EMStudio:
qkgpXAU.png
qkgpXAU.png (50.44 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
mgO2jK7.png
mgO2jK7.png (74.3 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: EMStudio Development Thread

Post by AndreyB »

You have a loooooooooooooooooot of work in front of you but an open source tuning suite would be AMAZING. Thank you for all the past and some of the future work :)
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Indeed! I'm going to put together a rough roadmap and timeline on the github wiki at some point, but I expect it'll be a few months before it's even "prototype ready". With any luck, that will line up with me getting some real hardware on my own vehicle :-D
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Simple Wiki started with a rough feature roadmap, they're mostly in order of planned development, though that is pending the thoughts of others: https://github.com/malcom2073/emstudio/wiki

Also got simple data replay of mlg files working. Thanks to rusEFI online, I've got a variety of files to pull from for testing!! :D
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Got super busy with work for a bit, but things are slowing down again, so back into it I go!

I should have a debian for Ubuntu 22.04 in the next few days, at which point I need to figure out how to integrate that with github actions like the windows build is.

On the MAC side, anyone with OSX experience with github actions interested in looking into what is required to support that?