[help needed] Standalone ETC

It's all about the code!
DmitryIvan

Standalone ETC

Post by DmitryIvan »

Hello everyone,
I want to create a separate board specifically for DBW (Standalone ETC), but unfortunately, I lack sufficient knowledge about the codes. The more I read, the more confused I become, and I lose focus on the main topic. I even attempted to remove all the other codes and only utilize the electronic_throttle section and its prerequisites, but I didn't achieve the desired outcome.
Has anyone ever undertaken a similar project where they only utilized this particular section and deactivated all the other parts?
Thus, my requirement is to have a DBW Standalone.
Note: I have no issue with compiling the code. I simply don't need all of that code for this purpose, and I only wish to use DBW on its own.

Note: If possible, it would be great if the code is designed in a way that allows for utilizing the other features as well. In other words, if ChibiOS has been utilized and only the ETB (Electronic Throttle Body) section works, so that I can later add and use other controllers.
FFG_Garage

Re: Standalone ETC

Post by FFG_Garage »

not need to modify the code. I use rusefi code in my standalone ETC, working well with my own designed board. I commented out a few line in the ini file, and I have a very limited number of menu items.
low_menuitems.PNG
low_menuitems.PNG (365.32 KiB) Viewed 11838 times
dikidera

Post by dikidera »

I actually wanted to do this. However rather than rusEFI boards, just a standalone mcu and pwm driver and a standard bosch throttle unit.

The first hurdle was people telling me that not a lot of MCUs can handle engine bay heats(I wanted it to be a plug and play and easily replaceable and not have it wired behind the dash or something), secondly EMI emissions from ignition system such as starter,alternator and coil packs and vibration from road.

Then afterwards the code was supposed to handle all possible scenarios for failure. I won't lie I expected something more simpler such as requesting 50% throttle and having a PWM signal to open the throttle 50% and if the MCU were to fail, the spring inside the ETB would force close the throttle as to prevent an accidental WOT or stuck position.

My car's original ETB is not like the Bosch units, it runs it's own MCU and PWM driver integrated inside and my ECU just sends a throttle position request, unfortunately it was a poor design and fails often. They did eventually switch to a Bosch unit but they never offered the software update and perhaps hardware for a specific range of makes and models running the same engine as the others.
Otherwise I would've reverse engineered the code by now. I've spent months digging into my own ECU code and have labeled over a hundred variables and functions.
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

I think you "overthink" this thing. In my project the standalone DBW controller run RusEfi code in an STM32F405 cpu, do all main thing (read the pedal and the tps, drive the throttle motor, use the safety features than implemented in RusEfi code, can communicate with megasquirt over can bus, can throttle blip for sequential gerbox etc), and have an optional extender port for a second cpu, than can read the pedal and the throttle too, meausre the current on the H-Bridge, and can cut the power from the H-Bridge when any error or not came any signal from the main cpu. In the power supply have suppressor diodes for the EMI (based on this guide: www.st.com%2Fresource%2Fen%2Fapplication_note%2Fan2689-protection-of-automotive-electronics-from-electrical-hazards-guidelines-for-design-and-component-selection-stmicroelectronics.pdf ). reverse engineering for months is too much for a single project I think.
dikidera

Post by dikidera »

I only did the reverse engineering so I could discover the maps and everything, then when that happened it was all for fun. I then went on to reverse engineer the transmission control unit code. I also do it for fun, but now I know and have a deeper understanding of how my car works and what I could tune for myself.

I am simply that kind of person, I can reverse engineer for months or years something I like.

Anyway, are there any ready made and tested H circuits and pwm drivers that are robust?
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

dikidera wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 10:56 am
Anyway, are there any ready made and tested H circuits and pwm drivers that are robust?
my best H bridge is the VNH5050, but I tried a lot, and all working good