Europian Ford distributor trigger

It's all about the code!
FFG_Garage

Europian Ford distributor trigger

Post by FFG_Garage »

Hello, I'm Laszlo from Hungary. I have a few europian ford engines in different cars.

All this engines have distributor, the old is a magnetic type (the MAX9926 can work with it), the new one is a HALL sensor in the distributor. Factory the engines work with ford TFI modul, but I only found in the supported trigger types the ford signature PIP trigger, the ford standard PIP I not found. This PIP signal is a 12 volr square wave, all the trigger signal is the same. In the inline 4 engine (pinto) I can use with the Mazda Protege SOHC trigger, but the v6 and v8 engines not working with this trigger type. I would like to use directly the signal from the distributor (or only the PIP signal from the TFI modul), and drive the coil directly from the ECU with an ignition IGBT. Can you help me how can I do this?
old_distributor.jpg
old_distributor.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
new_distributor.jpg
new_distributor.jpg (57.19 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
images2.jpg
images2.jpg (8.78 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (15.07 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
standard_vs_signatured.png
standard_vs_signatured.png (6.18 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
signatured TFI.jpg
signatured TFI.jpg (111.73 KiB) Viewed 8236 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Europian Ford distributor trigger

Post by AndreyB »

I believe you are touching a lot of potentially separate things here.

Q1: please confirm that existing https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/wiki/All-Supported-Triggers#ford-pip is "Signature PIP" and I should mention that somewhere

Q2: what would be the next smallest separate action for me to take?

We already have "skipped wheel" trigger option which would allow you to use 12/0 - but 12/0 custom wheel on a six cylinder does not sound right, how would it know the right moment to fire? I guess I still do not get how exactly what exactly works on the car from factory. Carburetor or EFI? Do they have some sort of wasted spark on the distributor?

I've touched GM HEI which sounds similar to TFI module - the VR signal was a bit noisy on a bench was not working great with existing code, I chose to just keep using GM HEI for now.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

Q1: yes, this is a signatured PIP, and I think is only used for USA ford v8 engines. In europian engines (pinto SOHC, kent, cologne V6 only used the standard PIP signal)

Q2: I'm trying to articulate what I'm missing: a basic and universal distributor with 1 coil trigger support. it doesn't matter what's in the distributor, hall or vr type (if vr you need a vr conditioner circuit), in the cpu side you will so many trigger event in 2 engine cycles as the cylinder count. in a 6 cylinder engine wil have 6 trigger event in 720 degree engine rotatoin, 4 trigger events a 4 cylinder and 8 events with a 8 cylinder. you need to fire the coil after this signal, the time is beetwen the trigger signal and the fire the coil signal is calculated by the ecu (from ignition advance, from rpm etc) doesn't matter what cylinder come in the firing order, the distributor cup do this job. (in a megasquirt this is a basic trigger)
With this trigger mode you can use many of the engines with distributor, not only the europian ford engines, many vw engines use the same distributor with hall sensor.

I hope you can understand what I wrote, my English is very poor
vw_distributor.jpg
vw_distributor.jpg (152.63 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
b6130a.jpg
b6130a.jpg (58.44 KiB) Viewed 8107 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

FFG_Garage wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:46 pm
I'm trying to articulate what I'm missing: a basic and universal distributor with 1 coil trigger support.
how is this different from existing custom toothed wheel placed on cam, while using single coil ignition mode?
image.png
image.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
JRD McLAREN
contributor
contributor

Post by JRD McLAREN »

one shortcut...
one tooth is one ignition ...

these distributors have 4, 6, or 8 tooth ...
.. and one ignition coil + ignition module ...

To FFG_Garage:
you can use rusefi for Ignition only .. ??
or for injection (also) .. ??
.. some Proteus and microRusEFI for sale in Europe ..
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

AndreyB wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:25 am

how is this different from existing custom toothed wheel placed on cam, while using single coil ignition mode?

image.png
I will try it, thank you!
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

JRD McLAREN wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:19 pm
one shortcut...
one tooth is one ignition ...

these distributors have 4, 6, or 8 tooth ...
.. and one ignition coil + ignition module ...

To FFG_Garage:
you can use rusefi for Ignition only .. ??
or for injection (also) .. ??
it's more complicated :D I working 2 bigger project right now: one 8 channel board that can run rusefi and speeduino code to replace my megasquirt based boards, and the other project is a stand alone DBW controller. for both project I need this simple square wave rpm signal. and I have a lot of europian ford engines, and a lot of friends with old fords...
FFG_Garage

Post by FFG_Garage »

AndreyB wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:25 am

image.png
I tried it, works perfectly on the inline 4, the v6 and the v8 pattern too.

Thank you very much!