donator
donator

Re: Nissan on Frankenso #47

Post by filip5 »

ZHoob2004 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pm
filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm
I think Rusefi can start a warm engine just fine and I tested it myself. The problem is that Rusefi can not start a cold engine and that is my problem and probably yours too.
This is the sort of comment that is turning people off from helping you. RusEFI has no problems starting an engine, warm or cold. You are the one that is having a problem, and we're trying to help you, but a lot of your replies are coming off a bit abrasive, and it's wearing down people's patience.
The sort of comment you are referring too came after there was no really help or any real serious answer from anybody to my inquiries. You are the only one that posted anything worth while and I appreciate it. Nobody else post anything to help. All came in and than when the questions were asked disappeared and did not answer on anything. I can start the engine fine when is hot but it does not start when cold. The fuel remains liquid when is in excess and dos not do anything when is in less quantities. The only way for me to change injection during cranking was thru VE table in which I put the lowest rpm at 100 in VE table so it could include cranking.

Cranking coolant multiplier is not working for me and neither is PWM value when I change it. I did not try it with IAC set at zero but I will try it. Maybe that is the trick.

Again I appreciate your answer, you are the only one that posted some values for me to test. Nobody else did it.
thanks
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:38 pm
The sort of comment you are referring too came after there was no really help or any real serious answer from anybody to my inquiries
I wouldn't have said anything if it was an isolated comment, but it's more of a theme of this thread. As an example, instead of this:
filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm
Sorry man, your settings do not help. There is not much there . There is nothing I can see. I suppose u have this engine running on empty
you could have said, "I'm sorry, this button doesn't seem to work for me. If I start a new project and then press that button, none of the settings change, could I be doing something wrong?"
filip5 wrote:
Cranking coolant multiplier is not working for me and neither is PWM value when I change it. I did not try it with IAC set at zero but I will try it. Maybe that is the trick.
0 IAC is probably not a useful value, something is wrong with the file I have. Especially since 0 on most IAC valves does not actually mean "closed". My VE and ignition tables do not go below 650, which is already lower than my motor likes running (happiest around 1000). I would avoid having the tables overlap the cranking zones, to avoid any confusion of what settings are affecting what.

Do you have a wideband O2 on the exhaust of this engine? Can you crank for a few seconds and see what the AFR is? If it's too rich, does adding some throttle help? You seem to be looking for solutions without really knowing the problem. Yes the engine isn't starting, but why isn't it starting? Does this engine start on an OEM ECU? What does the OEM ECU do differently?

I got all of my settings by reverse-engineering the factory fuel and ignition maps, as well as copying settings that megasquirt users used on their engines.
filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

ZHoob2004 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 pm
filip5 wrote:
The sort of comment you are referring too came after there was no really help or any real serious answer from anybody to my inquiries
I wouldn't have said anything if it was an isolated comment, but it's more of a theme of this thread. As an example, instead of this:
filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm
Sorry man, your settings do not help. There is not much there . There is nothing I can see. I suppose u have this engine running on empty
you could have said, "I'm sorry, this button doesn't seem to work for me. If I start a new project and then press that button, none of the settings change, could I be doing something wrong?"
filip5 wrote:
0 IAC is probably not a useful value, something is wrong with the file I have. Especially since 0 on most IAC valves does not actually mean "closed". My VE and ignition tables do not go below 650, which is already lower than my motor likes running (happiest around 1000). I would avoid having the tables overlap the cranking zones, to avoid any confusion of what settings are affecting what.

Do you have a wideband O2 on the exhaust of this engine? Can you crank for a few seconds and see what the AFR is? If it's too rich, does adding some throttle help? You seem to be looking for solutions without really knowing the problem. Yes the engine isn't starting, but why isn't it starting? Does this engine start on an OEM ECU? What does the OEM ECU do differently?

I got all of my settings by reverse-engineering the factory fuel and ignition maps, as well as copying settings that megasquirt users used on their engines.
Yes the engine starts on a 1-st second of the first attempt with its own ECU. That is why I am puzzled. I think and I am now convinced that the fuel needs to be PWM during cranking only in the fuel injectors, that will help it to evaporate the fuel and start the engine much easier. Yes I have a O2 sensor connected and that is I change the values but only thru VE table. Cranking settings are not working for me at all. They are not doing anything.

I will try again, I was hopeful that IAC zero might make it work but that might not work u are saying.
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

I'm pretty confident that setting the IAC to 0 will not solve anything, and may cause additional problems. My recommendation is to change your VE and ignition tables back so they do not cover your cranking range.

What is your AFR while cranking a cold engine?
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

In addition to what your measured AFR is while cranking, have you configured your battery voltage ADC input yet?
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi_documentation/blob/master/FAQ/cranking.md now mentions Cylinder Cleanup.

I would not be able to contribute further until I see cranking logs :cry:
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

russian wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 pm
https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi_documentation/blob/master/FAQ/cranking.md now mentions Cylinder Cleanup.

Attached is the .msl file requested. It cranked for about 1 min or so. I did not turn on the fuel line because I saw injection time at 19ms. Couldn't have it flooded the cylinders with fuel? I used your temp multipliers in cranking that you posted earlier. -30 degrees 25.27, 110 degrees 10.
Attachments
MAIN_rfi_report_2019-04-08_19_46_29.csv
(920.92 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
2019-04-08_19_46_50.msl
(302.76 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
theflyingdutchp

Post by theflyingdutchp »

filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm
theflyingdutchp wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 pm
filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:59 pm
It looks to me like your fuel injection calculator is maybe wrong.

Am I wrong here?
Yes, you never applied the VE %.
I believe the formula is there to tell me what the value of the fuel injection should be for a certain settings of the VE table so If I am wrong I can correct it.

Why do I have to apply the VE % ? What is the purpose of the formula then?
Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is a measure of how effective the engine is as an air pump. Simply put, the cylinder will not completely 'fill' with air. The % 'fullness' is VE. So the formula for determining the mass of air accounts for: Air Pressure and Temperature (which change the density), Cylinder Volume, and VE (the amount of that volume that is filled). That's not strictly accurate but is sufficient to get a gut feel for VE.

EDIT: I skimmed the thread, every screenshot I've seen shows your cranking advance at 0degrees. Can you try 17degrees and report back?

Furthermore, IMO there is too much going on in this thread at one time. I'd recommend that the focus is placed on ONE issue, and ONE change at at time. If that change does not improve things it should be undone. It also appears to me that several suggestions were dismissed without trying them. There are so many reasons why this is not productive.

Finally, maybe everybody should take a few hours between replies to cool down.
88 Camry Alltrac - 3SFE w/ CT26.
Ran ok, but rings are fried, moved on...
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

ZHoob2004 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:21 pm
filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm
I think Rusefi can start a warm engine just fine and I tested it myself. The problem is that Rusefi can not start a cold engine and that is my problem and probably yours too.
This is the sort of comment that is turning people off from helping you. RusEFI has no problems starting an engine, warm or cold. You are the one that is having a problem, and we're trying to help you, but a lot of your replies are coming off a bit abrasive, and it's wearing down people's patience.
{edit}
I suspect the posts have undergone some edits. I see a posted .MSL file, which I'm sure was not there when I posted this post. Either I was not through enough in my 10 minutes of review time. Any how, I see a log file is now posted
{/edit}
He still has not posted the log which shows us what is happening during cranking. I understand his lack of knowledge about engines and rusEFI. I understand this is complicated stuff, and when you don't know the answer it makes it hard to ask the question. I have grown to expect similar attitudes from gear heads. The lack of posting his logs is the real problem I see. If he posted a video, log and tune, then we would have some something to work with. However he simply refuses to post this data which makes it almost impossible for us to provide solutions.

About looking for detailed understanding of the fuel compensations, and similar stuff is working. This is difficult for us to write this down. You might figure some of it out from the doxygen documentation. See the below.
https://rusefi.com/docs/html/files.html
Last edited by kb1gtt on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

When chasing down why something has a value of X, it's helpful to eliminate any of the correct tables. Set all of the values in cranking temperature/duration/throttle position to 1.0.

Only then should you start playing with the base fuel pulse width. Set it to something like 3ms. Crank the engine, and CONFIRM that the actual pulse width is something close to 3ms. If it is, continue. If not, STOP, post your tune project, and a data log of it happening.

Suppose that it did behave, and you're seeing an actual pulse width of 3-4ms. Great. Now you can try to start the engine! Time to plug in the injectors.

Here's what the loop should look like:
  1. Attempt to start the engine
  2. Increase cranking base fuel by 1ms
  3. Repeat until the engine starts nicely
For reference, my 2.3L starts reliably at 25 degrees C with a 4ms pulse on 400cc injectors.

edit: added timing to log snip

PS: how are you capturing your datalogs? If you're not doing it from tunerstudio (press ctrl-L), please do so. The log format you posted is sort of strange, and doesn't look like other logs I've captured.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Also, a hint: if you've flattened the cranking multiplier vs. TPS table out to all 1.0, you can use the throttle to adjust the cranking mixture so that the engine starts. If it's set too rich, opening the throttle will allow in more air, helping the engine start (if that's the problem).
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I'm not sure why I'm not seeing Vbat in the log file. Should I expect to see that in the log file?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

kb1gtt wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 am
I'm not sure why I'm not seeing Vbat in the log file. Should I expect to see that in the log file?
The log file looks weird to me too. All the units are in "v"? @russian, do you know where that log came from?
filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:07 am
When chasing down why something has a value of X, it's helpful to eliminate any of the correct tables. Set all of the values in cranking temperature/duration/throttle position to 1.0.

Only then should you start playing with the base fuel pulse width. Set it to something like 3ms. Crank the engine, and CONFIRM that the actual pulse width is something close to 3ms. If it is, continue. If not, STOP, post your tune project, and a data log of it happening.

Suppose that it did behave, and you're seeing an actual pulse width of 3-4ms. Great. Now you can try to start the engine! Time to plug in the injectors.

Here's what the loop should look like:
  1. Attempt to start the engine
  2. Increase cranking base fuel by 1ms
  3. Repeat until the engine starts nicely
For reference, my 2.3L starts reliably at 25 degrees C with a 4ms pulse on 400cc injectors.

edit: added timing to log snip

PS: how are you capturing your datalogs? If you're not doing it from tunerstudio (press ctrl-L), please do so. The log format you posted is sort of strange, and doesn't look like other logs I've captured.
Hi mck1117, my engine is exactly like yours. can you please send me your TS studio project of your engine so I can try it with my engine.
my email address is filip5@aol.com. That would help me to find out where my mistakes are.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

My engine isn't exactly the same, it's an older iron block, 8 valve Volvo, but is probably close enough yours will start. I've attached the complete Tunerstudio project. Do NOT try to apply this config to your controller, as it's for a slightly modified (and old) firmware version for some sensors you don't have. It's fine to use as reference though, all of the "normal" engine hardware settings should translate over fine.
Attachments
b230_rusefi.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 301 times
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

Noticed an issue with your cranking config, setting it to "charge angle" is pretty useless if you're using coil-on-plug coils that have any logic in them. It can cause the spark to be over-advanced. You should use "fixed dwell" instead, 5-8ms is probably fine.

You want it to look like this:

filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 am
My engine isn't exactly the same, it's an older iron block, 8 valve Volvo, but is probably close enough yours will start. I've attached the complete Tunerstudio project. Do NOT try to apply this config to your controller, as it's for a slightly modified (and old) firmware version for some sensors you don't have. It's fine to use as reference though, all of the "normal" engine hardware settings should translate over fine.
Hi mck1117, thank you very much. I believe that your project will be very helpful.
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

kb1gtt wrote:
No VBatt because it's not configured in his tunerstudio project, and I'm assuming it's not hooked up.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 am
kb1gtt wrote:
The log file looks weird to me too. All the units are in "v"? @russian, do you know where that log came from?
This log was produced by "rusEfi console20190302 firmware 20190401@17068 CUSTOM 61" - i.e. rusEfi console.
I do not understand while MegalogViewer is not showing VBatt for this log file since it's in the file

"v" is a defect :( Here is the fix but still many sensors do not spell out nice units. https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/commit/306db665c13b739bb2a50d0e01e7591eaeab0f12

AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

MAP value shows a perfect noise?
RPM is somehow exactly 200 or 201?
TPS is very close to zero maybe worth touching TPS while trying to start?
"last injection" is somehow slowly going up? 133 values seem off?

It could be that TS logs are better quality, looks like console logs have too many issues :( Sorry about that.
Attachments
javaw_08F2EKZ8Wm.png
javaw_08F2EKZ8Wm.png (209.5 KiB) Viewed 21722 times

andreika
donator
donator

Post by andreika »

Some hints on cranking...
1) set "enable cylinder cleanup" = true
* this is required for continuous failing cranking attempts, see "2)"

2) There is an alternative (recommended?) way to do cranking in case of problems:
a) press throttle pedal to 100% (cleanup mode)
b) start cranking and wait a couple of seconds
c) release the throttle pedal

3) set "cranking rpm limit" = 800 (as higher as possible)
* if you don't, the engine will switch into "idle" mode too early

4) Set "injection mode" = simultaneous for cranking
* this will help if you have any problems with ign. phase

5) Set "faster engine spin-up" = true
* every second of cranking is valuable; the earlier spark is, the better

6) Set IAC a little higher for cranking than for idle
* some engines require significantly more air to start

7) "Cranking duration mult." table is very important
* it should give most fuel only on the very first cycles, and cut the fuel later, like this:
cranking_duration.PNG
cranking_duration.PNG (23.56 KiB) Viewed 21712 times
filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

andreika wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:46 am
Some hints on cranking...
1) set "enable cylinder cleanup" = true
* this is required for continuous failing cranking attempts, see "2)"

2) There is an alternative (recommended?) way to do cranking in case of problems:
a) press throttle pedal to 100% (cleanup mode)
b) start cranking and wait a couple of seconds
c) release the throttle pedal

3) set "cranking rpm limit" = 800 (as higher as possible)
* if you don't, the engine will switch into "idle" mode too early

4) Set "injection mode" = simultaneous for cranking
* this will help if you have any problems with ign. phase

5) Set "faster engine spin-up" = true
* every second of cranking is valuable; the earlier spark is, the better

6) Set IAC a little higher for cranking than for idle
* some engines require significantly more air to start

7) "Cranking duration mult." table is very important
* it should give most fuel only on the very first cycles, and cut the fuel later, like this:
cranking_duration.PNG
Thank you. I will try this and advise.
filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

mck1117 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 am
Do you know if rusefi would work with 60/2 and cam sensor instead of without cam sensor?

If so I suppose both the crank and the cam inputs on rusefi would work together

I think the problem with wasted spark and without cam selected is that the injection phase is not clear when it happens.
filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:51 pm
russian wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 pm

Attached is the .msl file requested. It cranked for about 1 min or so. I did not turn on the fuel line because I saw injection time at 19ms. Couldn't have it flooded the cylinders with fuel? I used your temp multipliers in cranking that you posted earlier. -30 degrees 25.27, 110 degrees 10.
Can rusefi be used with a 60/2 tooth cranks sensor and a cam sensor?
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

It could be, yes, but I don't think it currently supports that mode.

However, I guarantee that injection phase is 0% responsible for the issues you're experiencing. Plenty of cars ran untimed injection just fine for years. I did ~10000 miles on my Volvo on rusefi without a cam sensor and it ran great.
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

And if you're really worried about it, set the injection mode to "simultaneous" instead of "sequential". Simultaneous mode fires every injector every revolution (every 360 degrees), instead of every other revolution (every 720 degrees).
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

filip5 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:36 am
Can rusefi be used with a 60/2 tooth cranks sensor and a cam sensor?
simultaneously? not at the moment. Either one separately would work.

filip5
donator
donator

Post by filip5 »

Can anybody advise why there is a discrepancy of fuel base with the actual value of the fuel injection? The fuel base shows as 0.635ms and the dead time is 0.85ms but the last fuel injection is 2.128ms. The actual fuel base should have been 1.278ms and not 0.635ms.

Any idea? attached are the pictures, the logs and the tune.
Attachments
IMG_7100.JPG
IMG_7100.JPG (2.71 MiB) Viewed 21570 times
IMG_7101.JPG
IMG_7101.JPG (2.62 MiB) Viewed 21570 times
IMG_7099.JPG
IMG_7099.JPG (2.63 MiB) Viewed 21570 times
2019-05-03_13.59.31_May3.msl
(1.14 MiB) Downloaded 418 times
2019-05-03_13.59.31_May3_1.msl
(671.67 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

[The extension msq has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]