Closed loop boost control / map sw

It's all about the code!
atntpt

Closed loop boost control / map sw

Post by atntpt »

I guess it could be achived with FISO (the idea behind map sw is just a switch that increases the max boost levels and allow higher map cels not another map ,dispite that would be even better)
Can anyone help me with the fórmulas , I've tried to understand how to but some help is very welcome !
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Re: Closed loop boost control / map sw

Post by AndreyB »

FSIO can do switch and FSIO can do table-based PID closed loop. Adjusting PID target by switch would need a small change to allow PID not targeting just a table but targeting a formula which would include a table.

But let's begin from the beginning, please help me understand what exactly is the feature supposed to be doing. What are the sensors involved, what are the actuators involved and what is the logic?
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

The idea is to have 2 driving modes , one more agressive than the other. 2 different ve and ign maps I know is not possible so I thought in having the same maps just switching between boost target and reach higher loads where the map can be less conservative.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

lets try again

please do not mix goals and ways to achieve goals

please tell me what is boost target. how to you measure and control. i never had forced induction in my life you need to educate me if you please can.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

I'm sorry, so from the beginning turbos have a Westgate, basically a bypass valve. This value is vacuum /pressure controlled but inline with that there is a solenoid that allows to control how much we want the value to Open. Therefore a boost pressure target can be controlled this mean different power levels depending on how much boost you are targeting . What I wanted was a way to Target to a table is boost levels pid controlled and a way to change to other boost target table, if impossible just a add value on top of the existing table.
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

I hope that one day someone would step forward and work on this code. I can help with advice but I cannot focus on this :(

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I'm not seeing a need for multiple tables. If you increase boost, then you get into that region, if you do not, then you simply hang out at the lower parts of the table. I think that how aggressive your boost is, will not effect your VE significantly. Your plumbing and such is all the same. Do you expect VE to change based on how aggressive the boost is?

I see the list of request like this.

-- PID control loop, which take in pressure measurement(s) and controls waste gate such that the turbo is controlled to a particular boost pressure.
-- Switch controlled boost level, perhaps analog control, but basically race boost vs daily drive boost. Basically the target of the above PID control loop, should be adjustable.
-- Table switching, such that you can switch tables with a switch, or perhaps a joystick and the LCD.

Does that sound about correct for the list of desired features?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
ZHoob2004
contributor
contributor

Post by ZHoob2004 »

kb1gtt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:34 pm

-- Switch controlled boost level, perhaps analog control, but basically race boost vs daily drive boost. Basically the target of the above PID control loop, should be adjustable.
This part sounds really easy to accomplish with FSIO. As stated, as long as you're tuned for the whole range of maximum boost, your reduced boost value will still fall on a tuned portion of the table. Basically you just need a way to quickly change the boost control target pressure, which I'm not sure if that can be changed while running or if we even have decent boost control yet.
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

I can't really understand FISO sintax but, a simple way to do it is to have only one table of boost target x axis " Request " from zero to 201 ( keep with me ) the y the RPM range . And then some expressions that
Like:
if switch on: request = TPS + 101
Else : request : TPS
( Target boost in kpa)
(Request)
201. 160. 200. 260
150. 150. 180. 200
101. 0. 0. 0
100. 140. 160. 200
50. 120. 130. 140
0. 0. 0. 0
3000 4000 5000. (RPM)

This way I could target for different depending on switch . About ve and ignition be the same.
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

anyone?
Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

atntpt wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:36 am
anyone?
???
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

@960 has implemented this recently, this is now part of rusEfi official firmware!

At this point i do not know if anyone has used it on a real vehicle, we have not seen any log file - but the feature is there, code was reviewed.

contributor
contributor

Post by 960 »

Boost control are working just fine.

I have made one duty-map for open-loop, and one for closed-loop.

Start with tuning the open-loop table first as good as possible first.

There are no option for dual-maps.

What I could have a look at, are to add some conditions, like analog input(pot).
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

960 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 pm
Respectfully, this is vague. Please post a tune and log of a real vehicle test.

contributor
contributor

Post by 960 »

AndreyB wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:37 pm
960 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:22 pm
Respectfully, this is vague. Please post a tune and log of a real vehicle test.
Please open a issue if you find any problems with it.

I dont need or going to put effort into making evidence for it.
For me it works fine, maybe not for you. I dont know..

If it wasnt working fine for me, you can bet I was still working at it.

It's simply putting pwm/duty at a wire, not rocket-science.

The pid are using the same method as the other pid-files we use.
mck1117
running engine in first post
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

960 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:48 pm

I dont need or going to put effort into making evidence for it.
For me it works fine, maybe not for you. I dont know..

If it wasnt working fine for me, you can bet I was still working at it.
Can you share a log from a short drive of how the expected behavior looks? It would be great to share with our users so they can validate what they're seeing is correct.
contributor
contributor

Post by 960 »

mck1117 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:34 am
Can you share a log from a short drive of how the expected behavior looks? It would be great to share with our users so they can validate what they're seeing is correct.
I dont think log-files will make things easier for users.

I belive a help file how to set it up and tune it would be of a lot more value.
So, I'll try my best instead of wasting time producing evidence it works.

The open-loop mode are a simple solenoid-duty table.
To tune it, you start off with low values to not overboost.

Slowly increase, until you start seeing boost(Carefully! As small values here can make huge difference)

Also start with low frequency(usually between 20-50Hz), until you have a reasonable range in the table.

Always start with tuning the open-loop table as good as possible(So you see your desired boost at full range),
before switching to closed-loop.

The closed-loop mode are a bit more tricky, but I will make a write-up and continue it here.