[info] Frankenso - ECU shield compatible with OEM case / official

Hardware inside and outside of the ECU
snua12

Re: Frankenso - ECU shield compatible with OEM case / official

Post by snua12 »

snua12 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:11 pm
I'm apologize, Leds are blinking. I've connected throttle body sensor and after few seconds display goes in "two line" mode. Tuner studio is working and throttle position sensor is working in Tuner studio.
Rusefi console is also working.

I understood that problem can be with hardware, dead display or dead gipo on CPU. Or someting in configuration.

Today I'v upload snapshot_20190806_000757_frankenso_na6_rusefi.
Problem was in settings, I've enable lcd display in Tuner Studio Controler-> LCD -> display mode -> hd44780. That was what I'm loogin for.
Ahmad

Post by Ahmad »

Hi
Is it prefer to use SDIO for MMC?
Is it supported with your code?
Abricos
contributor
contributor

Post by Abricos »

Ahmad wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:32 pm
Hi
Is it supported with your code?
It's supposed SD card ...
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

Ahmad wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:32 pm
At the moment we only have SPI mode for SD hardware. SDIO mode is not supported in the firmware - see https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/issues/683
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

Can anyone help me understand why do i have this noise on analog inputs ?
The frequency of the noise seams to sync with some kind of led blink or something
Attachments
video_converter__1568142503662.mp4
(1.94 MiB) Downloaded 681 times
mck1117
running engine in first post

Post by mck1117 »

atntpt wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm
Can anyone help me understand why do i have this noise on analog inputs ?
The frequency of the noise seams to sync with some kind of led blink or something
What does your wiring setup look like? What sensors are those connected to? How are they grounded? How is the ECU grounded?
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

Testing on bench , I noticed if I power it via discovery usb the 5v line also varies .
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Which LED did you disconnect to determine it was an LED?
Welcome to the friendlier side of internet crazy :)
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

By led I meant a blinking frequency xD
mck1117

Post by mck1117 »

atntpt wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:57 pm
Testing on bench , I noticed if I power it via discovery usb the 5v line also varies .
I understand that you're testing on the bench, but how are the sensors connected? Are sensors connected at all?
atntpt

Post by atntpt »

I have resistors simulating sensors
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

The missing assembly photo
This pic wasn't in this topic, and I was guessing stuff until I found this hard to find photo

I didn't bother making the correct part, but will the centre combination work with the flybacks. The diodes are 2.5mm, and the leg in between is 0.5mm, so the spacing would be 3mm. I put an example trace on the end diode for a SMD part.

Also there's not much room around the screws. I suppose I could use a insulating washer.

What's the INJ current across the 0 ohm resistors. Is it single INJ per mosfet and the STM32 batches them, or can you connect 2 INJ per mosfet. Basically is 0805 ok or do I use 1206.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Inj limit is unknown. I expect the limit is based on the mosfet. I think qty 1 mosfet will over heat at around 3 perhaps 4 amps. Each high z injector will conduct about 1 amp. The 0805 is probably fine even up to 5 amps. However the mosfet may over heat and go into shutdown. This is all guess work. So we really don't know.
stefanst
contributor
contributor

Post by stefanst »

Old Grey wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:58 pm
[...]
What's the INJ current across the 0 ohm resistors. Is it single INJ per mosfet and the STM32 batches them, or can you connect 2 INJ per mosfet. Basically is 0805 ok or do I use 1206.
Old Miatas run batch injection with 2 injectors per channel. Several of these are running with 0 problems so far.
DonaldBecker

Post by DonaldBecker »

Zero ohm resistors are good to at least 1 amp.

Above that you'll need to consult the datasheet for the specific resistor. They will typically specify 2.0 or 2.5 amps (0805) with de-rating for temperature and other conditions. With a 50% design margin you are right back at not much more than 1 amp.

There are specialized zero ohm links that are solid copper with a tin or silver plating. These cost quite a bit more than regular production series resistors with a zero ohm rating, but can be useful in a pinch. A casual search on Digikey brings up a part that is 0.43 qnty 1 in 0805. Hmm, I guess they are targeting designers with a problem that needs to be covered up.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

If it's a problem, you can also replace the 0805 with a solder snot.
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

I was just thinking that the pad is 1.4mm, and a 1206 is 1.5mm, so I thought it would be wise to link them to the 0.070" pins on the Denso connector. If it does 2 High-Z with a single 0805 it's probably not necessary. 8-)
puff
contributor
contributor

Post by puff »

I do remember an smd 0603 fuse rated for 3A (or was it 5A - a green package with letter P on it) used in apple laptops.
when I was looking for a replacement, I thought of using a zero-ohm resistor. Just curious, how bad was such an idea...
DonaldBecker

Post by DonaldBecker »

puff wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:03 am
I do remember an smd 0603 fuse rated for 3A (or was it 5A - a green package with letter P on it) used in apple laptops.
when I was looking for a replacement, I thought of using a zero-ohm resistor. Just curious, how bad was such an idea...
It depends on your goal.

I once repaired several battery management modules for a friend. They were part of an expensive EV BMS, and only were produced for a few months before the small company moved onto a different, less-fragile design. Some of the SMD fuses were burnt, likely from attaching or disconnecting the sense wires to the cells in the wrong sequence. But even one of the fuses burning out rendered the entire multi-$K system unsuitable for use (risking ruining the $10K+ battery pack with no indication of the real problem). No replacements modules were available and no commercial shop would repair them.

In this case a SMD fuse was definitely a mixed blessing. They probably would have been better off with no fuse. Or at least no worse off, since some of the channels had intact fuses -- the most expensive part broke to save the fuse.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Depends on the goal. If the goal is to light a cigarette it's probably ok. If the goal is to make the Apple product work you want the same fuse.
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

I'm feeding the FK with 12V, and I'm getting 5V at the reg, but the other 5V points on the PCB are only getting 0.4V. Are there any links that have to be made to get the 5V to the internal PWR plane.

kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

Did you install W23?

W23 is used to verify the 5V is working properly before you connect the 5V stuff to it. AKA if you get a cold solder joint on one pad which needs allot of heat to make a good connection, you would get 12V on the 5V line. This W23 allows verification of the 5V before accidentally connecting an erroneous 12V to the 5V rail.
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

You legend. :D

I thought it was something simple like a selectable jumper, but I couldn't see one in the pic. I could see a black thing between the holes, and was thinking it was a 0ohm resistor, but when I look at the KiCAD I get lost when it switches layers. I just don't use KC enough to be good at it because I don't make any circuits.

Hopefully that is the last hiccup, and I can finish this vid. :roll:
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

I think you've found all my Easter eggs :) However there is a good chance there are more out there.

Many of these things are to help the DIY crowd. Many of these Easter eggs can go away on PnP efforts. As well OEM's can control things in such a way that remove this kind of stuff. Thanks for the efforts on the video's, keep up the good work.
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

That last vid took a bit of time.

I don't know how well Frankenso kits sell, but after making one it seems a bit too much trouble. You're kind-of better off just paying the small amount extra for the pre-assembled FK, but what would be better is a PnP FK for the different car models. The problem is how do you make a PnP FK to cover all cars.

Do you cut a hole in the FK and make a castellated adaptor PCB with the ECU connector. It would cutout all those jumpers, but it would add $10 to each FK for the adaptor PCB.
kb1gtt
contributor
contributor

Post by kb1gtt »

China assembly is key. The connector cards is difficult with China assembly. I once dreamed we would make wire boards to simplify the different PNP setups with that connector. If you don't have the frankenso connector you probably do not have the same case in the same location. If you don't locate in the exact same spot you probably need an extension cable. So adapter board that is connected frankenso connector with pigtail. As well that connector is lower qty. So let the diy guy do that part. Then let China do the bulk assembly and keep that assembly the same.
Kavabanga

Post by Kavabanga »

Hello, guys! Yesterday i tried to order Frankenso PCB ver 5.3.6 on JLCPCB and support e-mailed me about issues. That text:
"Hi Sir,
Well got your order with many thanks~
Sorry to bother you, but there are 2 issues that we want to confirm with you before proceeding.
1) the inner layer trace are too closed the edge, it will be cut by the board outline.
2) After compensate, the distance between plug holes and trace is only 0.09 mm, it is over our limit,
Could you please kindly check and fix it??
Since our system don't support change and re-upload file after submission, so we will cancel and refund for you to replace a new order with new file, ok??
Your early reply will be highly appreciated!
Thank you so much!"
And that photos (green)

Then i tryed to order version 5.3.1 and again support found issues:
"It seems there are a short circuit on the top circuit line layer , is it correct ?" and send me photos (blue)

Have somebody properly gerbers, which hasn`t got issues on JLCPCB?
Thanks
Attachments
002 (1).png
002 (1).png (396.19 KiB) Viewed 32124 times
001 (1).png
001 (1).png (53.9 KiB) Viewed 32124 times
image_720.png
image_720.png (197.45 KiB) Viewed 32124 times
image.png
image.png (46.35 KiB) Viewed 32124 times
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

The areas you point on have not changed for a while (or maybe ever?) - I believe other shops never brought this up. All or most of Frankenso in existing look like this and seem to be working. I have some 0.5.6 unpopulated boards but I do not think I have assembled any yet.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
Old Grey
contributor
contributor

Post by Old Grey »

Anyone know if this will work with the smaller 512Kb STM32F407VET6
AndreyB
Site Admin

Post by AndreyB »

Old Grey wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:33 pm
Anyone know if this will work with the smaller 512Kb STM32F407VET6
it would NOT by default, you would need custom firmware with different storage address. the hassle it's probably not worth the $ saving.