Github Username: kylan8129213
Slack: huh

Re: Frankenso: does anyone have pictures for this board

Post by bigredproject »

where Can you show me where it is on the board exactly please
BeerMoneyMotorsports

Post by BeerMoneyMotorsports »

Please use YOUR eyes and identify where it is. This seems like a lost cause at this point.
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

are you talking about the 12 V switch because I don’t have one?

this?
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 16840 times
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

do i just put a 0 here at JP06?
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 16840 times
blundar
contributor
contributor
Github Username: blundar
Slack: Dave B.

Post by blundar »

Are you sure it was a good idea to purchase a board that requires reading comprehension, bigredproject?
Simon@FutureProof
contributor
contributor
Github Username: Orchardperformance
Slack: Orchardperformance

Post by Simon@FutureProof »

Please stop posting only one sentence per post, it makes the thread very hard to read.
Compose the information you need to convey into one post.
Now keeping MRE in stock in the UK - https://www.FutureProofPerformance.com
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

okay sorry give me a break man I’m only 15 I’m trying my best here can you please tell me what I have to do with 12+ and what exactly it is and where it is?
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

p.s. they call it "open source" because you can refer to the sources when you have questions

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/tree/master/hardware/frankenso
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

so right in the picture do I just put a zero in between JP064 for 12v switch is that what you guys are talking about?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 16828 times
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

I think some of the snippyness you are finding is because Frankenso is the most "developer" of the current offerings. It's for people who *really* want to get their hands dirty. It's for people who want to learn more about the development process vs. those who want things to work.

I don't know the answer to your question off the top of my head BUT I know how to find answers. Fire up KiCAD, load the readily available source files, cross reference items on the board with their corresponding elements in the schematic. While looking at the design documents is always a good idea when you're trying to troubleshoot a piece of electronics, it's expected particularly for the Frankenso item because of its uber-dev-board status.

Edit: https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/tree/master/hardware/frankenso
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

it just says 12v switch is misc_header so should i put something there is that my problem?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.95 MiB) Viewed 16826 times
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

Will this fix my problem and is there any jumper cables that I have to wire?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.23 MiB) Viewed 16825 times
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

is 0R just a 0 ohm resistor?
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

You're beyond iBOM. You need to answer the question "if the knee bone is connected to the shin bone, what is the shin bone connected to?" You do that by looking at the design files.

If you have not done so already, you need to clone / download this entire project:

https://github.com/rusefi/rusefi/tree/master/hardware/frankenso

I looked at the files in that directory. They make reference to KiCAD 5.1.5, so any recent KiCAD 5.1.x build will work:

https://www.kicad.org/download/

Once you have KiCAD installed, you should be able to open the project file "frankenso.pro"
This will get you the Frankenso project. At this point, you can open EESchema to view schematics. Go back to main KiCAD controls, open PCBNew to view board. I would suggest you size PCBNew and EESchema so they each take up half of the screen. Pan around in PCBNew. If you left-click on an item in PCBNew, EEschema will browse/navigate to show you the corresponding schematic element.

You can go through any items that you have questions about and click back and forth in order to find out what the "shin bone" is connected to. If you're not sure how to interpret the schematics, I think you'll get much more traction with those kind of questions. The iBOM is a quick and convenient way to put together a board. It's not documentation in the way that you're looking for.
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

OK I will try out kicad
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

Do you have anyone helping you on this or are you flying totally solo? What's your planned use case for this Frankenso assuming that you manage to get it to the point where it conceivably could run an engine? I'm not trying to be mean or be an ass here - I'm genuinely concerned that you dot the Is and cross the Ts where they matter. You can hurt yourself and others pretty bad when playing with large mechatronic toys.
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

it’s just me working on this and everyone helping me on the form I have done tons of mechanical work which is why I think that I can do this. I plan to hopefully use this as a full standalone ECU to turbo my car. and i do have a fire extinguisher
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

what is a MISC_HEADER?
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

do I need to add any jumper cables to make it work?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 16806 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.93 MiB) Viewed 16806 times
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

bigredproject wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:58 am
i do have a fire extinguisher
Here, we would call this "having your priorities in the right spot." :D

Honestly - I didn't read this entire thread. Enough of the old timers were exasperated that it hit my radar and here I am. I read maybe 10 posts. Long before you declared yourself to be a 15 year old kid, my thought was "holy shit this guy is in over their head." The KIND of questions you were asking showed a serious disparity with the intended audience for Frankenso. Knowing that you're a 15 year old working this project yourself, it makes a lot more sense.

My first question for you - why did you get a Frankenso ? This is arguably the MOST challenging, technically-involved board requiring the most expertise on the part of the purchaser to achieve results with. You bought the offering that is aimed at people who know electronics (or are willing to spend a lot of time learning), know how to code (or are willing to spend a lot of time learning) and have the ability to build + *troubleshoot* electronics. Is this you? Do you have test gear? Multimeters? Oscilloscopes? Do you have much practice soldering? Some of the pictures you posted were a little frightening in terms of QC.

usEFI isn't mechanical, as I'm sure you now realize. Understanding cars isn't much of a help to understanding it. It's a really complex electronic design. If you're not familiar with electronics, you're jumping into the deep end in a pretty serious way. The path forward with *what you have* is going to be long, slow and involve a huge amount of time and learning investment on your part. The people here are great - I've never met a better bunch of car enthusiasts BUT this project, particularly Frankenso, isn't ready for "n00bs." There is a better solution for your vehicle (Hellen) that aims to take a lot of the pain and suffering you're experiencing now away and replace it with something more application specific that will allow you to get up and running a fuck of a lot easier. Were you not aware of the Hellen series that provide more application-specific solutions for Miatas when you purchased your hardware?

If you keep going with this Frankenso, you need to abandon all hope of having something to run a vehicle anytime soon (I'd say: months realistically before hope) because the gap between where you are at and were you would need to be in order to be able to "just do it" is too great. Hellen gives plenty of opportunities for learning. It's still not "easy." But I honestly, really, think you need to do some soul searching and ask whether you've bitten off more than you can chew or whether you really truly do enjoy monumental challenges.

At this point, I'd really suggest you stop. Take a few deep breaths. Maybe even sleep on it. What do you want to do?
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

I have done plenty of soldering and electronic work and wiring and building stuff similar to this obviously I’ve never done anything as hard. so as of right now what is wrong with my board?
blundar
contributor
contributor

Post by blundar »

bigredproject wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:30 am
so as of right now what is wrong with my board?
I have no idea what is wrong with your board. I can tell you to refer back to my earlier instructions for installing KiCAD and then systematically working your way from power in to outputs out, probing and scoping along the way.
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

this is it
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 16803 times
AndreyB
Site Admin
Github Username: rusefillc
Slack: Andrey B

Post by AndreyB »

You have requested an eBay return which is a nasty turn in my opinion. Let me suspend your account.
Very limited telepathic abilities - please post logs & tunes where appropriate - http://rusefi.com/s/questions

Always looking for C/C++/Java/PHP developers! Please help us see https://rusefi.com/s/howtocontribute
bigredproject

Post by bigredproject »

okay :(
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 16803 times